Rear door not opening?!?

ashytomko

Mar 26, 2014
Bit of weird one this, but I've bought a Leon Cupra 04 plate and the drivers back door doesn't open from inside or out :doh:
Would anyone have any idea or tips on how to remove the door card without absolutely obliterating it???

I forgot to mention, the outside handle is also none existent :clap:

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Not wierd at all.
Locking modules on these fail after time. Just one of the usual suspects tbh.
There are countless threads on here relating to them.
A few have solutions of how to break the lock or removing door cars and mechanism.
Sometimes it’s possible to bash nr lock and if it’s just a solder point that’s failed sometimes it will open.
Usually it’s a problem though and brute force applied in the right places works.
I’d search out some threads on here unless someone can link you.
Should think they can as it happens all the time.
Good luck.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

ashytomko

Mar 26, 2014
Not wierd at all.
Locking modules on these fail after time. Just one of the usual suspects tbh.
There are countless threads on here relating to them.
A few have solutions of how to break the lock or removing door cars and mechanism.
Sometimes it’s possible to bash nr lock and if it’s just a solder point that’s failed sometimes it will open.
Usually it’s a problem though and brute force applied in the right places works.
I’d search out some threads on here unless someone can link you.
Should think they can as it happens all the time.
Good luck.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Thank you for your reply, i have just edited the post, as i forgot to say the handle is also missing lol, but thank you, i shall have a look through

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Sounds like the lock module has failed. You can try slapping the door while pressing the lock/unlock buttons. But they get to the point where even that doesn’t work. It’s a common problem on all the MK4 Golf based cars and it’s worth replacing them as soon as they start acting up.

The rear door card is easy enough to get off even with the door closed, since all the screws are accessible. But on the minus side removing the window clips is harder than the front ones. Most people say to smash the plastic section of the lock until it opens. But apparently access to the rear ones in the MK1 Leon is a right PITA.

My driver’s door wouldn’t open so I researched this problem a couple of weeks ago, but thankfully it was an almost flat battery (little use over lockdown). There are guides online & YouTube and I used them to replace my front passenger lock last month. But I could still open the door at the time.

There are few videos showing people opening stuck locks by drilling access holes and manually moving the lock levers. Given the lack of access in the rear doors, I’d be tempted to do that. Another suggestion I saw was melting the plastic section of the lock with a soldering iron.

Whichever way you do it, it doesn’t look an easy job with the door struck shut – good luck.

Last edited:

ashytomko

Mar 26, 2014
Sounds like the lock module has failed. You can try slapping the door while pressing the lock/unlock buttons. But they get to the point where even that doesn’t work. It’s a common problem on all the MK4 Golf based cars and it’s worth replacing them as soon as they start acting up.

The rear door card is easy enough to get off even with the door closed, since all the screws are accessible. But on the minus side removing the window clips is harder than the front ones. Most people say to smash the plastic section of the lock until it opens. But apparently access to the rear ones in the MK1 Leon is a right PITA.

My driver’s door wouldn’t open so I researched this problem a couple of weeks ago, but thankfully it was an almost flat battery (little use over lockdown). There are guides online & YouTube and I used them to replace my front passenger lock last month. But I could still open the door at the time.

There are few videos showing people opening stuck locks by drilling access holes and manually moving the lock levers. Given the lack of access in the rear doors, I’d be tempted to do that. Another suggestion I saw was melting the plastic section of the lock with a soldering iron.

Whichever way you do it, it doesn’t look an easy job with the door struck shut – good luck.
Ok i will see how i get on tonight and keep you updated, thank you for your help

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Removing the door card is the easy bit I removed the base off the rear seat and moved the front seat all the way forward just to give that bit off extra room for when it came to pulling on the door card when all screws removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashytomko

Mar 26, 2014
Removing the door card is the easy bit I removed the base off the rear seat and moved the front seat all the way forward just to give that bit off extra room for when it came to pulling on the door card when all screws removed

Ok mate, gonna have a bash tonight and see how i go on

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
If the deadlock has engaged and the lock module failed the brute force is the only option.

Did this on my 2005 FR, card is easy to get off, take out the rear seat as mentioned above. Inner door panel is a bit harder, the glass is fixed to the winder with a small white plastic dowl. Push it through the outer holder to release the window.

Now you are in there you have to break apart the module until the deadlock releases. You don’t have to smash it to bits, I found the bottom bit closest to you was the place.

Have a new module ready as you don’t want to take it apart again. Be careful pushing the dowl back in, hard to do through the little hole!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Try driving around with someone in the back trying the handle, worked on mine when I had one and the lock went.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Try driving around with someone in the back trying the handle, worked on mine when I had one and the lock went.

When my front passenger lock started failing, it would often work after driving the car. Basically much the same as slapping/kicking/punching the door while pressing the key fob.

But after a while even that trick stops working. Since the outer door handle is missing, my guess is it's been broke for a while and someone had a go at fixing it.

Aug 13, 2020
I am also having this issue, noticed when I brought the car the child lock wouldn't come off on the rear passenger door. Still opened from the outside, thought I'd get round to sorting it, now the door won't open either way. Pretty much has everything off including hinge bolts to see if I could create more room to see in but looks like it will be a brute force or as been suggested by a friend maybe make a hole on the inside to get access to the mechanism. Will buy one before proceeding and check there isn't an answer on another thread

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I am also having this issue, noticed when I brought the car the child lock wouldn't come off on the rear passenger door. Still opened from the outside, thought I'd get round to sorting it, now the door won't open either way. Pretty much has everything off including hinge bolts to see if I could create more room to see in but looks like it will be a brute force or as been suggested by a friend maybe make a hole on the inside to get access to the mechanism. Will buy one before proceeding and check there isn't an answer on another thread

If take the door card off take the base off the back seat out to give more room in hook all the wires from the door card once you have pipes the card off there is a black bung on the Mattel panel open that drop the window till you can see the white rod clip holding the window to the mech get a long wood screw that will screw into the middle off the white clip and then pull it out then push the other white part out then remove the window motor and pull the window up to the top and tape it up undo the 10 mm bolts all the way round the metal panel and remove it and unclip the plug for the door lock and pull all wires out off the metal panel then it’s just a case off trying to brake the door lock apart so you can open the door

Reactions: Rich.T

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
There's videos on YouTube showing how to free up a stuck lock since it's a common problem with mk4 golf based cars. A few show people drilling or using existing holes to force the 2nd deadlock section of the module open. Since it can get stuck. You'll sort of understand when you have a replacement module in your hands.

Someone did recommend using a soldering iron to melt the plastic since it doesn't smash easily. Which ever way it's done the rear doors on the Leon are supposed to be a right PITA because of the door shape.

Good luck

Reactions: Yellow fr
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members