Rear fog light conversion left to right

Oct 4, 2023
Hi,

I recently moved to the UK, from France, and I am trying to register my car here.
Apparently, to adhere with the local regulations I need to convert my rear fog light, move it from the left to the right side of the car.
The local Seat dealer told me that there is only one rear light bar produced by Seat and it is the same everywhere and it's impossible to change it.
Is there anyone here with experience at that?
Anyone with a UK Seat Leon MK4? Where is the fog light located on your car, left or right?

Thanks!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
On UK spec (right hand drive) cars, the rear fog light is on the right - see post #6 in the discussion thread at the link below;

Reactions: ggee

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
The local Seat dealer told me that there is only one rear light bar produced by Seat and it is the same everywhere and it's impossible to change it.
Is there anyone here with experience at that?
There's only one time that's valid, and that's if the fog light is in the middle of the car.

Reactions: ggee
Oct 4, 2023
Thank you both!
How would you handle it?
Go to the dealer and argue?
I tried some independent garages and the one that appeared most competent told me that it probably needs a firmware change but that requires a connection with a SEAT server and it's best done at a SEAT dealer.
So, I guess, the light is there on both sides but you need to change the firmware so that the right fog light lights instead of the left.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It might be logical to consider that if these modern cars have the ability to "flatten" the spread of the headlights so that RHD car can be driven in a LHD territory and the other way round, that making that switch in some car settings via the infotainment system, then doing that would also change which side the rear fog light was active - maybe try that if you haven't already, but there again maybe too many smart options have not been very well thought out?

Oct 4, 2023
Thanks RUM4M0!
So as part of the conversion, I need to change the speedometer from km to miles. I did that through the infotainment system. However, I did not see any option to change the lights of the car (Mercedes and BMW supposedly have it but not SEAT). However, it should be possible through software change from a certified service centre. I think the best choice is probably to go to another SEAT dealer. I might have to drive a bit far though.
Thank you very much everyone!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would have thought, as people nowadays do travel abroad at holiday time, and so must be able to change the aim of the headlights, that that facility/option must be in there somewhere, and accessible to the everyday driver.

I don't have a new version of Leon to check, but maybe that info is held somewhere in the "operator's manual".

Although, I would have thought that a SEAT or VW Group Indie workshop should have considered that if it was possible - but never assume anything!

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Thanks RUM4M0!
So as part of the conversion, I need to change the speedometer from km to miles. I did that through the infotainment system. However, I did not see any option to change the lights of the car (Mercedes and BMW supposedly have it but not SEAT). However, it should be possible through software change from a certified service centre. I think the best choice is probably to go to another SEAT dealer. I might have to drive a bit far though.
Thank you very much everyone!
It’s not. They have ‘tourist lights’ which are effectively flatter headlights but they’re only meant for short term use in another country. The book says if you plan on staying you need to replace the headlights. Shame cos even my 2014 Insignia had the option to flip the headlights to the other side of the road..

Reactions: RUM4MO
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.