Rear fog light fault?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
2018 Leon FR.
Switched on front and rear fog lights. After approx 20 seconds dashboard displayed "Switch off rear fog light". Icon in dash display for rear fog light extinguished as was tell-tale on light switch. Actual rear fog light, however, stayed on.
If rear fog light switched off & then back on after a few minutes the message re-appeared after 20 seconds or so with icons extinguished but actual light back on.
Any ideas what causes this?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
2018 Leon FR.
Switched on front and rear fog lights. After approx 20 seconds dashboard displayed "Switch off rear fog light". Icon in dash display for rear fog light extinguished as was tell-tale on light switch. Actual rear fog light, however, stayed on.
If rear fog light switched off & then back on after a few minutes the message re-appeared after 20 seconds or so with icons extinguished but actual light back on.
Any ideas what causes this?
Found the answer. It's speed related - over 40mph with rear fog lights on & warning bong/message.

Reactions: BillyCool

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I thought that the max speed with rear fog lights was 50 kph in some markets ie Germany, hence warning message, but shouldn’t be active in UK.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It's definitely active, mine does this to.

There isn't a speed limit for fog in the UK, you're supposed to use common sense, so Seat decided to introduce a new safety feature - a bit like the other one which instantly blacks all the instruments out when you drive under the shade of a tree.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
It's definitely active, mine does this to.

There isn't a speed limit for fog in the UK, you're supposed to use common sense, so Seat decided to introduce a new safety feature - a bit like the other one which instantly blacks all the instruments out when you drive under the shade of a tree.

On other MQB cars this feature was always able to be added as an adaptation - think that it was standard on Audi:

I used to code it in for people when based in Germany post swapping the fog light lenses with LHD variants.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Can you remove this with Carista ? got a 18 and a 68 plate Leon and only happens on the 18 plate :( would love to remove as I am perfectly capable of knowing when to turn the foglight on and off.

If not may have to relicense my VAG COM

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
would love to remove as I am perfectly capable of knowing when to turn the foglight on and off.

I hate this shite! Some spoon in an office deciding when functions on my car operate. My wipers stop when I stop at lights. News flash knob-head. When the lights change I want to know it's clear before I start moving!!

It's a classic example of people doing something because they can without spending enough time considering whether or not they should. Idiots.

Reactions: Fester999

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I hate this shite! Some spoon in an office deciding when functions on my car operate. My wipers stop when I stop at lights. News flash knob-head. When the lights change I want to know it's clear before I start moving!!

It's a classic example of people doing something because they can without spending enough time considering whether or not they should. Idiots.

I've just ordered my new Mk4 Leon and you are going to lose your s**t over the things they've done to that one.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've just ordered my new Mk4 Leon and you are going to lose your s**t over the things they've done to that one.

I wouldn't buy one. I read a couple of reviews and had a look at one while I was picking up a car last year. I told the dealer I wouldn't be buying one and he said "We've not had one positive comment about it" If the guy who's job it is to sell the car says that.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members