Rear LED tail light not working.....

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Hi all,

I've had an error come up on dash about check tail light, the cluster on the right side of the boot lid have stopped working as a DRL/ rear light. The indicator part of it still works. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in a few times but hasn't kicked it into life, any ideas of a quick fix or is it a SEAT job?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Is the lighting cluster all LED? If so it should be covered by SEAT. LED lights should last lifetime of vehicle according the handbook.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Its this one. Just a bit weird that the indicator bit still works
40aa3451f63a9ed2bb7f4430ef9bd554.jpg

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Is the lighting cluster all LED? If so it should be covered by SEAT. LED lights should last lifetime of vehicle according the handbook.
I didn't know that. I've always worried about mine failing thinking it would be an expensive item to replace.

Do you know of any actual cases of people claiming for this under (as you put it) the lifetime warranty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
I didn't know that. I've always worried about mine failing thinking it would be an expensive item to replace.

Do you know of any actual cases of people claiming for this under (as you put it) the lifetime warranty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I dont know of anyone claming for this but in my MK3 2017 facelift the handbook states LED lights should last the lifetime of the vehicle so I dont think SEAT would have much grounds to try an stop any claim since lifetime of the vehicle is clear cut imo.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It says they 'should' last the lifetime of the car, not that they are guaranteed to. Outside of warranty you might get some goodwill if you've got a good relationship with the dealer but other than that, good luck.

Personally, I would check the wiring and fuses and if they're ok I'd buy a unit off eBay and swap it.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
It says they 'should' last the lifetime of the car, not that they are guaranteed to. Outside of warranty you might get some goodwill if you've got a good relationship with the dealer but other than that, good luck.

Personally, I would check the wiring and fuses and if they're ok I'd buy a unit off eBay and swap it.
This page from the user manual says the LED should actually exceed the life of the vehicle so I doubt they wouldnt cover it unless of course the light was damaged but if the LED simply failed I think they would have a tough time denying a claim.
LED.PNG

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I has to replace the outboard one on mine, again, LED. Seat want a fortune for it but I got a genuine Valeo one for £110 iirc, from Autodoc I think. The LEDs can last as long as you want but if the light fills with condensation and the connectors corrode, you're gonna be out of luck.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Now,...... It's decided to work again! Still gonna get it checked out though! It hasn't filled with condensation or corrosion, looks like new from inside!

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Now,...... It's decided to work again! Still gonna get it checked out though! It hasn't filled with condensation or corrosion, looks like new from inside!

That's strange closest thing I've seen is if the boot isn't shut right then the lights wont work.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
They dropped that on the facelift car. Lights stay on when you open the boot.
I've got a facelift model and when the boot isnt shut correctly the light cluster on the actual boot dont operate only the side section work like the picture above.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've got a facelift model and when the boot isnt shut correctly the light cluster on the actual boot dont operate only the side section work like the picture above.

Strange. Our car's lights stay on when you open the boot. I mean it's just coding but why would they change it?

Reactions: iScoTT29

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Strange. Our car's lights stay on when you open the boot. I mean it's just coding but why would they change it?
In a way it has helped me out. As i've started to walk away from the car because the passenger 'shut' the boot and when I turned round and locked it I noticed the lights not working on the boot so I went back and found the boot not shut :p

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
In a way it has helped me out. As i've started to walk away from the car because the passenger 'shut' the boot and when I turned round and locked it I noticed the lights not working on the boot so I went back and found the boot not shut :p

I think there are pros and cons to it. I just don't know why my car is different. Weird.

Reactions: iScoTT29
Feb 7, 2021
I’m having an issue. I’ve recently bought LED rear lights. They all work and no issues etc..

But on my dah it says to check the tail lights.
They work, just on the dash it keeps telling me when I turn them on?
Any idea on how to clear this or anything?
Tia

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.