Rear wiper on reverse

squirellyseat

Aug 7, 2022
Morning

Rear wiper works from stalk fine, so wiper itself not the issue.

With front wipers on, rear wiper no longer comes on automatically when in reverse.

Anyone got any ideas to the cause?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
On my previous car - a 2016 VW Polo GTI, I can’t be 100% certain but I think there was an option in the vehicle settings (accessed from the infotainment screen) to switch this function off, so presumably there would be the same option in your model of Ibiza. If so, it possible you - or another user of your car - may have inadvertently switched it off?

Reactions: squirellyseat

squirellyseat

Aug 7, 2022
On my previous car - a 2016 VW Polo GTI, I can’t be 100% certain but I think there was an option in the vehicle settings (accessed from the infotainment screen) to switch this function off, so presumably there would be the same option in your model of Ibiza. If so, it possible you - or another user of your car - may have inadvertently switched it off?
2012 model, so sadly no infotainment just basic stereo with cd, aux and radio. No other way I can see from other buttons/stalks.

I think its an option in coding, just don't have the right tools to check myself if its still turned on or not, so wanted to rule out any other possibilites like if reserve light bulb is out (need to check that anyway), could that cause it.

Though I guess its possible it happened when it went in for a service but I see no reason why they'd of turned it off.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One possible thing to check, to make sure that the car "knows" that reverse has been selected - when you select reverse, does the cabin fan noise change - it should as the the air recirculating flap should now be closed - obviously the single reversing light should also be getting switched on.

Reactions: squirellyseat

squirellyseat

Aug 7, 2022
One possible thing to check, to make sure that the car "knows" that reverse has been selected - when you select reverse, does the cabin fan noise change - it should as the the air recirculating flap should now be closed - obviously the single reversing light should also be getting switched on.
Will have a listen for cabin fan noise change 👍

squirellyseat

Aug 7, 2022
Confirmed the car doesn't know its in reverse, have to say its a new one for me.

Both bulbs tested and they work off a battery but not in car.

Is it a relay issue, sensor?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Easy to test...

Check if reverse lights come on or parking sensors work if you have them

squirellyseat

Aug 7, 2022
Easy to test...

Check if reverse lights come on or parking sensors work if you have them
Had already checked the lights.

Turns out it wasnt the reverse light switch but the wiring to the switch had broken, all sorted now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.