Rear Wiper Problem

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Got this odd rear wiper issue.

Rear wiper packed up the other night then the Wiper arm broke where it mounts to the spindle, 12 year old part and the recent heat has probably killed the plastic as it left the metal lug on the spindle which wouldn't budge so decided to replace the motor.

Got a good condition second hand motor and new arm then fitted them but the thing still doesn't work, the washer jet works but no wiper sweep at all, which is the same as the initial fault.

Checked fuse 41 which is in working order, checked the voltages at the motor, 1 ground is fine, two middle signal wires switch as they should, but the final wire has me boxed.

From what I gather the brown/black wire should be a 12v constant live or an ignition live, wasn't able to ascertain which but either way mine is 8v, that is until I flick the wiper stalk at which point it goes to 0v. Checking fuse 41 reveals the same 8v, but also fuse 42 is 8v.... when I pulled fuse 41 (and 42) I still had 8v at the wiper so is 41 even the wiper fuse? I wasn't able to ascertain if the wiper is relay or control unit controlled anyone know?

I managed to get the wiper working "normally" by running a wire directly from the battery to test it.

I've searched the net for help on Leon and other VAG stable-mates with no avail. The boot latch has been in the closed position throughout testing and I've checked the tailgate lights are all working to ensure it doesn't think the boot is open.

I expected a nice simple break in the wire in the rubber hose but not my luck, I have a gremlin, my MOT is next month so I need to get it working or instant fail, and I don't really want to remove it as despite how ugly they are I use it often.

I'm not really digging the idea of running a 12v live with a fuse bypassing the original brown/black as it surely can't be that complicated a fix and i'm just missing something? I'm just out of ideas at the minute as it's warm and I've been looking at it all morning.

As in the signature this is on the Mk2 FR CR170 TDi 2010 version.

Last edited:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Take a look inside the new motor mate see if it’s water damaged. Failing that like you said just test it with 12v if it works then try to check it’s getting a switch live on the plug from the stalk and work your way though it.

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
bit of an update if anyone is following this with any interest, it's still NOT FIXED. I can't figure out why the circuit that feeds an ignition live to the rear wiper and 12v socket is only providing 8v, 8v at the fusebox, 8v at the 12v socket, and 8v at the rear wiper, and the rear wiper ignition live 8v to drop down to 0v when the wiper switch is actuated, the switch should only affect the two signal wires from my understanding. also other 12v ignition lives such as the headlight switch is getting a full normal 12v ignition live. searching the net since Thursday on and off for similar faults on Seats, VW's, Skoda's and Audi's has revealed nothing. i'm just about ready to resign myself to creating my own 12v ignition live circuit .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.