reliability of IHI's?

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
i'm swpaping my 106 gti for an ibiza cupra and i'm going for big power. i was originally going to go for IHI but have heard the turbos need replacing a fair bit? is this true? and traction ion 1st and 2nd is really bad? i'm now thinking about just doing the AM04 conversion.is 300bhp obtainable from this and what's it like reliability wise? thanks

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
As far as iam aware IHI's are reliable, not heard of any problems.

I dont know if AM04 will make 300 BHP but will be close, maybe stage 2 will.

Ask AM Motorsport

AM04 will cost your alot less than IHI, and will look more standard under the bonnet. Your gearbox and clutch might last longer with AM04 aswell.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
ive got the smaller vf24 turbo.. not had it long so cant say on reliability but not heard bad things.

jabba have told me that it dosnt like hard dv springs. if peeps fit uprated stiffer dv springs that could head to probs . perhaps this is why youve heard bad stuff.

as for 1st and second... and third in the wet traction isnt there if you stomp the pedal but once your used to it its easy to control with the right foot.

power delivery is smooth unless you go full boost then it buries you in the seat:D but i think thats down to the map.

am04 was very tempting as was the jbs k04 hybrid. but went with jabbas ihi experience. they had a lot of ecu probs with mine. which they swopped over then replaced the dash clocks ... it wasnt straightforward but i wasnt charged extra and they did a brilliant job.

im happy with my ihi and wanted to go just over 300. so i rekon i took the right choice

you pays your money..........

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
push em too hard and they can fail (but so can anything)
exhaust housings not very stable >950'C, and some peeps have suffered bearing failures (not myself tho)

MR Ibiza Cupra

Feb 17, 2006
London
They should be just as reliable as any other hybrid Turbo. Just dont over boost it and make sure the turbo is operating inside its efficiency island.

Ibiza Cupra

I've been told they are very good aslong as you have the money to keep up on the servicing and making sure with any turbo it's warmed up and cooled down.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
keep sensible boost of 1.2-1.4bar and they can goes on for miles and miles and miles....

go for bigger power levels however, pump em up, and the margins evaporate I think. Its a good low 300bhp reliable, nice spooling turbo.

Want more, get bigger, dont flog the VF34 to death is my advise.

Power to beyond 7K rpms pulling hard from 3K is superb.... Nothing like a k0x unit.... so much nicer IMHO

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.