Remapping seat ibiza fr stage 1? 62 plate

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Just a few questions about remapping.

Have you done yours and was it worth? Or should I just save my money?

A few people have told me. Its more for high performance turbo cars but seen on Facebook a lot of people just having basic cars done a which helps BHP and nw. Had a quote and they stated for me:

(BHP 105 >> 135)

(NM 175 >> 215)

For £150 and come locally.

Does a remap stay on indefinitely or just up until an MOT?

Cheers

Last edited:

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
...............A map is permanent until you decide to have it removed.

I am always very sceptical about remap being preformed without the use of a rolling road. Its important to know that the car is healthy and running correctly before you have it remapped. £150 is a very very cheap price for a remap, you know the old saying

"Pay cheap, pay twice"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
...............A map is permanent until you decide to have it removed.

I am always very sceptical about remap being preformed without the use of a rolling road. Its important to know that the car is healthy and running correctly before you have it remapped. £150 is a very very cheap price for a remap, you know the old saying

"Pay cheap, pay twice"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ahh fair enough been reading around and most of the places that offer the dyno rolling road have stated for stage one its not really needed, they can just test the data on roads

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
You don't necessarily need a rolling road for a stage 1 remap - you just need to have it done by a tuner with a good reputation. I had my 1.4 TSI FR remapped. I didn't get it dyno'd because it was from a reliable company and you could easily feel the increase in power and torque on the road.

£150 seems suspiciously cheap although the prices depend on where you are located. Good remaps start about £300 in the UK but it could be different if you are located in France?

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
You don't necessarily need a rolling road for a stage 1 remap - you just need to have it done by a tuner with a good reputation. I had my 1.4 TSI FR remapped. I didn't get it dyno'd because it was from a reliable company and you could easily feel the increase in power and torque on the road.

£150 seems suspiciously cheap although the prices depend on where you are located. Good remaps start about £300 in the UK but it could be different if you are located in France?
Tbh iv had 6 to 7 quotes all in the region of 150-200 some include dynos and others don't. Then others 400 and above. Isnt the file the same regardless of paying 100 or 1000 pounds?

3 of them are recommended online and via Facebook with a lot of reviews all 4 or 5 stars. How else can they read stats if not on a dyno for the data collection? Or is it just a simple test drive afterwords?

Ps I am UK based just on holiday at the moment

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Ah fair. The sub £200 ones could turn out to be fine in that case.

I had a Bluefin remap on my old FR, which meant that the tuning company sent a device loaded with the software that you installed yourself via the OBD port. The advantage of this was that you had a backup of the stock settings, so you could uninstall and reinstall the map as you pleased.

This meant that I didn't go to the tuners to get the map done and so I didn't have the car on the dyno. I went by the graph they supplied on their website showing the performance gains for a Polo with the same engine (1.4 TSI). I was happy with what I saw and the difference in performance was noticeable straight away when I drove for the first time after installing the map, so no reason to doubt them at all.

Also some tuners will probably charge for the dyno separately to the map, so a £200 remap may end up costing £250-300 if you have a dyno session with it - it would be worth asking tuners whether the dyno run is included in their price for a remap.

Reactions: Wilkesy

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018

I had a Bluefin remap on my old FR, which meant that the tuning company sent a device loaded with the software that you installed yourself via the OBD port. The advantage of this was that you had a backup of the stock settings, so you could uninstall and reinstall the map as you pleased.

This meant that I didn't go to the tuners to get the map done and so I didn't have the car on the dyno. I went by the graph they supplied on their website showing the performance gains for a Polo with the same engine (1.4 TSI). I was happy with what I saw and the difference in performance was noticeable straight away when I drove for the first time after installing the map, so no reason to doubt them at all.

Also some tuners will probably charge for the dyno separately to the map, so a £200 remap may end up costing £250-300 if you have a dyno session with it - it would be worth asking tuners whether the dyno run is included in their price for a remap.
Cheers for the very detailed reply

Reactions: SilverPilgrim

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018

Sorry to bother you again. Getting quotes iv noticed some have said to 135 bhp and others 130 so obviously I'm going to sway towards the 135 ones. When doing quotes all are 130 BHP. Would it be because they might be different programmes or is it possible that the 135 are trying you to use their service when actual fact is it will only be 130 in the end.

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
I would say that the real power gain would be somewhere between the two figures: probably 132-133bhp in reality.

Also, the quality of fuel used will have an impact on the power figures. The TSI engine will adjust to the type of fuel you use, so if you regularly use standard 95 RON petrol, you will probably be around the manufacturer's quoted power levels. If you regularly put 98-99 RON in then you will be a few bhp up on the quoted figures. The same will be true after the remap, hence why you see a 5bhp variation in power gains.

In the real world, you won't feel the difference between 130-135bhp. What you will feel is the torque gain, and the 1.2 TSI already has nice torque for a small engine. Once remapped, the car will pull harder and sustain it for a bit longer. Whilst 130bhp or thereabouts isn't hot hatch power, it's enough for brisk progress and it will make a light car like the Ibiza much more interesting to drive.

Last edited:

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
I would say that the real power gain would be somewhere between the two figures: probably 132-133bhp in reality.

Also, the quality of fuel used will have an impact on the power figures. The TSI engine will adjust to the type of fuel you use, so if you regularly use standard 95 RON petrol, you will probably be around the manufacturer's quoted power levels. If you regularly put 98-99 RON in then you will be a few bhp up on the quoted figures. The same will be true after the remap, hence why you see a 5bhp variation in power gains.

In the real world, you won't feel the difference between 130-135bhp. What you will feel is the torque gain, and the 1.2 TSI already has nice torque for a small engine. Once remapped, the car will pull harder and sustain it for a bit longer. Whilst 130bhp or thereabouts isn't hot hatch power, it's enough for brisk progress and it will make a light car like the Ibiza much more interesting to drive.
Brilliant cheers. My friend had revo fitted on his golf, mentioned about clutch sometimes slipping can you specify on that? I tried to Google it but had no luck

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Do you know what engine your friend has in his Golf?

Generally a stage 1 remap will not push the car beyond its limits in terms of stress on the engine and clutch - could be that the clutch already had an issue? Does he regularly try to "launch" the car and floor it in low gears?

In a lot of turbo FWD cars you can't just dump the clutch and floor it in 1st or 2nd at low speeds as the wheels will spin.

In my experience, this happens less in the Cupra but it was easy to spin the wheels in the 1.4 FR even before its remap. You needed to be smooth with the pedals to get it going but you could happily floor it and get a nice surge of power once it had reached 25mph - could be something similar with your mate's car.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Bear in mind the standard engine has been independently dynod at 116PS (so the gains may not be as big as you are expecting). Also don't REVO do up to 144PS on this engine?

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Bear in mind the standard engine has been independently dynod at 116PS (so the gains may not be as big as you are expecting). Also don't REVO do up to 144PS on this engine?

Yeah that's a good point - under ideal conditions (temperature, atmospheric pressure, fuel quality etc) the TSI engines do make more than stated factory output. If the tuners state a gain of 25bhp then you would probably still gain that with the remap hence 144PS being quoted. The 1.4 TSI ACT (quoted at 140PS / 138bhp) has been dyno'd stock at 154bhp, which further backs up your point.

I think Revo have a disclaimer mentioning the variation though, as no two engines perform quite the same. The other tuners quoting 130-135 are probably basing their figures on averages, or going for the minimum gain so as to cover themselves.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Yeah that's a good point - under ideal conditions (temperature, atmospheric pressure, fuel quality etc) the TSI engines do make more than stated factory output. If the tuners state a gain of 25bhp then you would probably still gain that with the remap hence 144PS being quoted. The 1.4 TSI ACT (quoted at 140PS / 138bhp) has been dyno'd stock at 154bhp, which further backs up your point.

I think Revo have a disclaimer mentioning the variation though, as no two engines perform quite the same. The other tuners quoting 130-135 are probably basing their figures on averages, or going for the minimum gain so as to cover themselves.
so I should expect to get at least the 130bhp

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Yes mate, at the very least you should be around that mark after a stage 1 remap. Even if you don't get it on the dyno for the exact measurements, you will feel the difference when driving it in the real world - overtaking will become a lot easier!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.