Removing Centre Box

• Thread starter Deleted member 55317
  • Start date

Deleted member 55317

Ive been looking at ways to get my exhaust note sounding better and one solution ive been provided with is removing the centre box as it will give a sportier note under acceperation but not chavy and not to loud as ill still have the backbox

its less than £100 for the mod will it work?

whats peoples opinions??

Deleted member 55317

Would you get a custom middle section then ? Where was your quote from ? I'm interested aswell :)

just a section of steel pipe so straight thru to the back box....was thinking about increasing the diameter to 2.5" pipe all the way back and reducing it again for the back box...i know ill get no performance gains from this as the cat and down pipe are still the same and the back box will still restrict airflow too but all im looking for is a better note

its from rjm and sons in fife, but they are a power flow franchise and they knew there stuff :) and easily reversible if i dont like it or i sell it on :D

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
centre box is a straight through, not baffled, so replacing with a straight pipe will not increase flow or noise much. rear box is heavy and very restrictive and so is the best one to replace, only needs one exit pipe. found this out 27th Oct 2009 when my custom system was fitted.

M1K3Y B

centre box is a straight through, not baffled, so replacing with a straight pipe will not increase flow or noise much. rear box is heavy and very restrictive and so is the best one to replace, only needs one exit pipe. found this out 27th Oct 2009 when my custom system was fitted.

What system? Whats the point in having the centre box if it doesnt silence it? Not arguing just asking :)

Deleted member 55317

i quite like my duel pipes that I have as i dont want a single large tail pipe, surely the centre box is restricted in some way other wise whats the point in it :s

so if it is restricted replacing with a straigh through pipe would allow the sound waves to increase in amplitude as they arent being broken up by the centre box BUT the back box would break them up meaning the exit note isnt as loud as a straight thru, plus i could get the section of pipe from centre box to back box increased in diameter this would also allow the sound waves to resonate more producing a louder but not excessive note thanks to the back box....i think....im just hypothesising here haha plus for 96 quid if it makes a difference ill be over the moon

M1K3Y B

96 quid to remove a centre? Thats alot isnt it?

I wouldnt have it larger diameter as it will just funnel into the rear silencer and get blocked per say, id remove the centre box and replace with the same size pipe, surely it does silence it, wouldnt have thought it was there for nothing :)

Deleted member 55317

ok so removing this will give me a different SLIGHTLY more sportier note under acceleration as this is what im looking for and 96 does sound like quite a bit but its still 395 cheaper than any alternative ive found :(

M1K3Y B

I suppose, Its just a pipe of the same diameter thats needed though, and some welding

Deleted member 55317

i may get them to change my back box as well then.....id rather it was slightly to loud than no difference

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members