Replacement Key

Apr 4, 2022
Recently purchased a SEAT Leon MK4 FR Sport PHEV secondhand from the local SEAT dealer. They informed me that 1 of the keys was missing and that they had ordered a replacement. 10 days later the replacement arrived and the dealership found the physical key wasn't right and they couldn't program the KESSY Fob. They have confirmed the VIN number and other details with the key order all is correct. They have been in contact with SEAT and now want to replace the locks & keys.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried about the replacing of the locks? Could this cause problems if I need a key in the future?
Is it possible to disable the infotainment popup about becoming the "owner" since I can't become the "owner" without the 2nd key?

Also I believe the car is running the firmware (1780) and maps it came out of the factory with, does the car need an "owner" to update these OTA or is this something else to take up with dealer?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
My car (also FR Sport) was supplied outside the Seat dealership network and was also missing a 2nd key, the suppling dealer ordered a replacement key which was sent to me direct from the Seat dealer they used. Key seemed the same as the one I was supplied with so I guess VIN also used?

I did have to get the key coded to the car though which my local dealer seemed nervous to do, I'm guessing key coding is not that common and maybe is tricky?? Luckily they did manage and I now have 2 working keys and could set myself as the car owner, don't think the pop up can be disabled though :(

If the key physically looks the same maybe your dealer just doesn't have anyone experienced in coding?

Not sure if I'd be happy changing all the keys/locks on a relatively new car, seems excessive.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I think these days far less locks to change...drivers door and airbag switch (if its vehicle key operated or maybe uses a 'generic fit' key shape)? The kits years ago contained 2 front doors, steering/ignition lock, boot lock, glovebox lock. Changed a few in my time.

Jun 21, 2022
My car (also FR Sport) was supplied outside the Seat dealership network and was also missing a 2nd key, the suppling dealer ordered a replacement key which was sent to me direct from the Seat dealer they used. Key seemed the same as the one I was supplied with so I guess VIN also used?

I did have to get the key coded to the car though which my local dealer seemed nervous to do, I'm guessing key coding is not that common and maybe is tricky?? Luckily they did manage and I now have 2 working keys and could set myself as the car owner, don't think the pop up can be disabled though :(

If the key physically looks the same maybe your dealer just doesn't have anyone experienced in coding?

Not sure if I'd be happy changing all the keys/locks on a relatively new car, seems excessive.
Hi mate,
May I ask you how much was it?

Thanks
Gtxv

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
No idea how much the actual key was as it was sourced and sent to me by the supplying dealer. The coding of said key by my local main dealer was £115.

Reactions: Gtxv
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members