Replacing a Toledo

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Now It Can Be Told:

Since the first car I went for was bought for cash by someone turning up out of the blue, I decided not to advertise the location of the other Toledo TDI I had found.

Until I had got it.

An 04 plate Toledo TDI 150 Sport. Standard apart from the interior, which has been taken from a V5, half-leather and Alcantra (a sort of pseudosuede). Oh, and added cruise control. Arctic Grey. 80K on the clock.

After the ordinary, slightly soggy 110 this feels tight and solid. And, all of a sudden, overtaking is no problem at all.
:D
In fact
:funk::happy:[B)]:thumbup::yes:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The build data sticker has no entry for the gearbox code. I've seen comments about this before - it may be that they stopped putting the code on the sticker between 01 and 04?

Looking at the top of the gearbox for any indication of a code, I found that the timing inspection cover (the "hot-water bottle bung") was missing and I could see flywheel teeth. Not ideal. Found the bung - under the gearshift mechanism, on top of the gearbox. It had been there some time . . . Now cleaned up and back in place.

Where can I find the gearbox code? Should I be cleaning the top of the gearbox off?

When the seller did the leather seats he also transferred the door coverings (Alcantara). The donor car obviously had lock pins that pop up by the door edgn, but the 2004 cars didn't. The drivers door has a plate with the LED in it but the other doors just have holes. Is there a properly manufactured replacement item to fit in these holes?

I'm having some trouble getting the Aura CD unit to accept the security code. I have the code in the original handbook, but the seller had removed the Aura unit and had his own Sony unit in there for some time. I'll be happy with the Aura, once I've added an auxiliary input - there's no CD changer in this car, and it doesn't really need one.

I wait several hours for the "SAFE" to be replaced by "2 1000". Enter the code using keys 1-4. Press Prog - and it reverts to "1 1000". I'm not expecting this. If I can't get it to work before tomorrow I'll ask The Motorist Center (my favourite North Kent VAG-independent and where I've had my servicing done since the Ibiza - plug) to sort it for me. I'm open to suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong, though . . .

Is it possible that having lain unpowered for maybe a year has made it forget its code?

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The new car:

TDI150side.jpg

TDI150frontquarter.jpg

TDI150front.jpg

TDI150back.jpg

TDI150interiorfront.jpg

TDI150interiorback.jpg

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Checking the serial number of the unit, it doesn't match the one in the handbook, so no wonder the code doesn't work. I need to get the unit recoded, or maybe just get a new unit.

c150student

Just a little jealous! She looks lovely, and 150bhp must be great

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The bumper is normal for that model, I think. The only clue from the front is the lack of an intake slot for a SMIC in the lower offside position, as this model has an FMIC.

The black slot on the nearside is a duct that goes back towards the oil filter area - perhaps extra cooling air for the oil cooler and sump? The external temperature sensor that is normally in this position is now mounted in the nearside corner of the lower central grill.

This seems to be normal for the TDI 150, judging by publicity pics in reviews from around 2004.

I like stealth. Less of a thief magnet.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
I like stealth too! That's why my car will have stage 2 and still look err used!
Nice car mutt! Looks the sAme inside as my v5! Same exterior pack as a turbo sport 180!
Nice pick!
Ak

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
This Auto Express review has the pictures I was talking about. Same wheels, same bumper (no slot offside lower, duct nearside lower).

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/42998/seat_toledo.html

The interior is from a V5, installed by the previous owner, door cards and all. Nicely done, except for blanking inserts where the door lock pins used to be. Do you know if there's a Seat part to blank them off, replacing the collar that surrounds the no-longer-there pin? If not I'll get some black plastic rod, glue it into the holes, trim back and polish the surface.

The Turbo Sport 180 would be the Cupra without Cupra styling, I presume? This is a Sport model too, and is in effect the TDI Cupra spec mechanicals in an more restrained shell.

To drive, though, its a revelation after the TDI 110. Firm without being uncomfortable, deals well with poor road surfaces and doesn't roll as much in corners. The steering and brakes seem to require a little more effort than on the "Comfort"-specced TDI 110, which again may be part of the Sport package. I can persuade the ABS to activate (having made sure that I was on a nice straight bit of empty road), but it requires a strong press on the pedal - no bad thing.

The steering, while heavier, feels much more precise. Some of this may be down to the 205/55 R16 wheel/tyre combination instead of the 195/55 R15's of the lower model. The wheels appear to be called "Torrenorfeo", and I can't find them on anything other than Seat's of around 2004. I'm quite happy with them, on balance they look better than the pepperpot alloys on the old car.

It feels like a different, much nicer, car. :D

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
Congratulations on the new motor! People underestimate the stealthy faster Toledo's and are usually surprised when they are passed or matched.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
c150student wrote

Just a little jealous! She looks lovely, and 150bhp must be great

I think it looks fine too. The pale metallic Arctic Grey is quite a change from my old Imperial Blue (which we liked), but goes with the stealthy aspect of this Q-car. The paint has some blemishes (surface scratches, scuffs, a couple of tiny dents) which are about par for the course for a car of this age. I may get a touch-up kit for some of the scratches on the bumper which are showing black plastic.

150 horses are very welcome. From what I read the engine has lower compression than the others in the range (18:1 instead of 19:1) but has more turbo boost (1.5 bar). So it is quiet and well-mannered pulling away from the traffic lights until you put the foot down a bit more and the boost comes in. Then there's a definite sinking back into the seats feeling :)

The suspension is vastly better than the "Comfort" spec on the old 110. Reading up, it seems it is lowered 15mm, 23mm arb front, 21mm arb back and stiffer springs. Whatever they've done, it is firm but not uncomfortable, much less roll around roundabouts and feels well planted on long fast corners. I've not had a chance to do more than motorway and A-road driving yet, but it feels good.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Leoncuprarfan wrote

That's a lovely looking car mate, hope she brings you much happiness.

Thanks. It has begun well :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
v5er wrote

Congratulations on the new motor! People underestimate the stealthy faster Toledo's and are usually surprised when they are passed or matched.

I've had one or two odd reactions. On the motorway I'll set the cruise control for a true 70 (75-80 on most speedo's which read 10% or so low) and so occasionally will slowly come up to someone cruising a bit slower. It is always good practice to complete overtaking moves quickly and now I can accelerate smartly around them then resume my comfortable (and plodsafe and economical) cruise speed.

Some guys get all bent out of shape by this. A Jaguar X-type came past again, slowed down and indicated left :confused: We did this a couple of times then he gave up and hootered off into the distance in his squashed Ford Mundaneo.

A Citroen Picasso sat on my bumper with what looked like a 1mph speed difference. He got very confused when I accelerated away to overtake slow traffic in front, before he could box me in. Again, we did this several times, then he overtook, following someone in Focus ST - must have given him some confidence. Sadly, he reached some slower traffic in front and dithered, so I overtook him again. Not wanting to play Grandmothers Footsteps all down the M11 I upped the cruise speed a bit and he got left behind.

It does do high speed cruise very nicely :rolleyes:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.