Replacing BWA Leon FR engine with BWJ Cupra engine - a couple questions.

Jul 31, 2021
Hi guys, so the engine in my FR went boom, and I now have found a BWJ engine (70k miles) complete with ancilliaries, turbo and injectors to replace it with. I've got 2 questions though:

1. Is everything a straight swap? All components, fittings and bolts etc. compatible? I will be swapping the PCM / ECU also, so that it doesn't run like a bag of ****.

2. When I get the new engine I'm going to replace the timing belt obviously - but is there anything else I should get done whilst it's out? Any one-time-use things I should replace - like crank bolts and stuff? Is there any point in spending the extra money to do the cam chain aswell? Just any things I'm not thinking of that are gonna need replacing in the process??

Bonus question: what's a safe range I can map the engine too? I already had 280bhp in the FR on a fairly conservative stage 2+ map, and I'm pretty sure that with the new turbo and injectors it will go 340bhp easily, but I'm not one to chase numbers and I'd rather be more on the safe side. From my understanding there's nothing different about the BWJ internals, so I still have to be careful with how much torque and power i want to get out of it. Thanks guys.

thatslowk1

Jul 30, 2021
Hi mate,

I am no expert like but this engine can do 420 unopened but I am going to stick to 380ish before I forge mine.
I would do the VIS balance shaft delete IMO and do the chain/belt/waterpump and themo housing.

One thing I would deffo do is pull the sump off and clean the pickup pipe.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members