Required oil...

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
Good morning,

The Mrs '21 Arona ( a year old - 14 000 mile) check oil light came on. I've checked the oil (numerous times) and it's perfectly fine.

Just curious if anyone has topped up their oil before and which oil they have used please?

Tell

Staff member
Ah no this Arona 1.0 TSI hasn't required any topping up. I went thru the spec the other day with someone.

Two pages from the Erwin maintenance manual. Find your engine then whether it's in a fixed service plan (yearly or so) or long plan. That gives you the VW spec code, then buy the oil to that spec. VW xxx yy.

I've always put in the long service spec oil as top up (the better quality stuff) in my Seats. Some dealers only carry that oil so better match up. Well that's the thinking.

So we bought 1 litre of this that hasn't been opened since 2019.

Castrol 15BC3C Edge Professional LL IV FE 0w-20​

Castro pdf spec link... other oils available:

Screenshot_20220810-002305.png

Screenshot_20220810-002325.png

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
Ah no this Arona 1.0 TSI hasn't required any topping up. I went thru the spec the other day with someone.

Two pages from the Erwin maintenance manual. Find your engine then whether it's in a fixed service plan (yearly or so) or long plan. That gives you the VW spec code, then buy the oil to that spec. VW xxx yy.

I've always put in the long service spec oil as top up (the better quality stuff) in my Seats. Some dealers only carry that oil so better match up. Well that's the thinking.

So we bought 1 litre of this that hasn't been opened since 2019.

Castrol 15BC3C Edge Professional LL IV FE 0w-20​

Castro pdf spec link... other oils available:

View attachment 33214

View attachment 33215
Thank you so much mate - I am looking through the manual and can see the VW standards but it doesn't show if it's 0W-20 or 5W-40 etc :D

Tricky part - according to your manual, my engine isn't there? I believe I have the 1.0L 110PS which is 81kw in the manual, closest there is 85kw but I see they all use the same long service one anyway.

Just want to buy some to top up :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes my younger daughter's Arona has the 85KW engine version and it is a 2019 car engine code DKRF, so I'm trying to convince them to buy a one litre bottle of either Castrol Edge to VW spec 504 5W-30 or Mobil One ESP 5W-30, to have in the car (why can't it just stay in the garage? - because!), I might even buy them a pouch complete with fold up once use funnel and gloves! Then there is the issue, for new drivers and owners, try to prioritise buying a foot pump and tyre pressure gauge (why, you can drive to Halfords and they will check the pressure! - again, because in my mind that is the way adults do things, ie check the car BEFORE setting off on a journey!!).

Edit:- next thing for that couple - why don't you buy a spare wheel and associated insert with tools?(yes but the spare wheel would need putting in the car every time we went on a long journey, can't leave it in the car as it will waste fuel! - well spoiling an outing just because you get a puncture and need transported home is also a waste of fuel!!)

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
Yes my younger daughter's Arona has the 85KW engine version and it is a 2019 car engine code DKRF, so I'm trying to convince them to buy a one litre bottle of either Castrol Edge to VW spec 504 5W-30 or Mobil One ESP 5W-30, to have in the car (why can't it just stay in the garage? - because!), I might even buy them a pouch complete with fold up once use funnel and gloves! Then there is the issue, for new drivers and owners, try to prioritise buying a foot pump and tyre pressure gauge (why, you can drive to Halfords and they will check the pressure! - again, because in my mind that is the way adults do things, ie check the car BEFORE setting off on a journey!!).

Edit:- next thing for that couple - why don't you buy a spare wheel and associated insert with tools?(yes but the spare wheel would need putting in the car every time we went on a long journey, can't leave it in the car as it will waste fuel! - well spoiling an outing just because you get a puncture and need transported home is also a waste of fuel!!)
Fail to plan, plan to fail is what I say.

I have a 400 mile round trip this Sunday hence me getting some oil. Car normally gets a wash before I set off, tyre pressure checked and oil checked.

Only buying the oil cause the check oil light comes on - booked in on the 30th but, just in case, during my trip the oil DOES drop, I can top it up.

@Tell I ordered some "Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0w-20 (VAG) Fully Synthetic Engine Oil" - 1Litre from Opie Oils, just so I have SOMETHING during my trip. 1L cost me £16.99.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Could think big on the

We got a couple of these electric pumps takes the effort out of it:

Ring RAC635 Preset Digital Tyre Inflator, Air Compressor Tyre Pump, 3 Min Tyre Inflation, LED Light, Carry Case, Valve Adaptors, 12 V​

Use a Halfords digital gauge that has a memory for front and back so you don't need to keep looking at the door label, toggle between the stored pressure settings. Over inflate by two bar or so since you loose that taking the pump off. Check and deflate with the gauge.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I was even going to "subject" them to a lesson on inflating an under inflated tyre using an old Aerite(sp) foot pump as I had told them already about Halfords selling a cheap foot pump - they do not intend to use their car that much so I considered that by suggesting an electric pump could end up with a car with correct pressures but not enough charge left in the battery to start it! I also suggested or showed them, and almost gave them a Ring digital tyre gauge with built in tread depth gauge and selectable display backlight for use in the dark, but ended up adding that gauge to the "stuff" that is in the boot of my wife's Polo, I had sort of run out of love for that gauge as it seemed that depressing the valves on any tyres that had been fitted as replacements in the past meant failing to get a reading, but both the winters and summer tyres on my wife's Polo are still the factory fitted ones, so it works okay. I tend to take my garage pressure gauge with me when travelling far with my car, and that is a Draper digital gauge complete with a "blow off" valve for setting pressures spot on, and it now has a very good clip on connector, a Laser Tools parts.

For them a car is just a bit of well earned freedom from the big smoke, and weekly shopping tool, so maybe they will end up learning the hard way, neither of them is stupid in any way, just not "car people" but goes for nothing on a dark wet roadside with a flat tyre and only what SEAT provided to get them moving again.

Just a side comment, did anyone know that the Arona has "tropicalised" fuel system, I did not know that until I got hold of that car's "CAR DATA" today after dropping them off at the local railway station - okay that means not too much just that there existed, in the parts listing, both versions of the fuel system for that car when the 1.0TSI 115PS is fitted, both use the same filter - if that ever needs replacing.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Fail to plan, plan to fail is what I say.

I have a 400 mile round trip this Sunday hence me getting some oil. Car normally gets a wash before I set off, tyre pressure checked and oil checked.

Only buying the oil cause the check oil light comes on - booked in on the 30th but, just in case, during my trip the oil DOES drop, I can top it up.

@Tell I ordered some "Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0w-20 (VAG) Fully Synthetic Engine Oil" - 1Litre from Opie Oils, just so I have SOMETHING during my trip. 1L cost me £16.99.

Yes that daughter, and her older sister are well aware of that - but does not yet relate that to any car stuff!

I used to use Opie Oils for my engine oils, it worked well for a while as I was always buying 2 X 5Litres so it was sent out with free carriage now I tend to find better prices elsewhere for the same oil delivered to my doorstep so I look after my wallet and moved away from Opie Oils - unless them change their pricing, it can be very easy to get lazy and just "know" that a previously used source is still the cheapest to use. I find that the same can go for using Autodoc when only buying quality parts.

Edit:- I did only suggest that they buy Castrol Edge - the correct version, from their chosen supermarket as and when it looks like being a good buy, hopefully that will happen before they need oil.

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
Yes that daughter, and her older sister are well aware of that - but does not yet relate that to any car stuff!

I used to use Opie Oils for my engine oils, it worked well for a while as I was always buying 2 X 5Litres so it was sent out with free carriage now I tend to find better prices elsewhere for the same oil delivered to my doorstep so I look after my wallet and moved away from Opie Oils - unless them change their pricing, it can be very easy to get lazy and just "know" that a previously used source is still the cheapest to use. I find that the same can go for using Autodoc when only buying quality parts.

Edit:- I did only suggest that they buy Castrol Edge - the correct version, from their chosen supermarket as and when it looks like being a good buy, hopefully that will happen before they need oil.
Who do you buy from now?

Tell

Staff member
I was even going to "subject" them to a lesson on inflating an under inflated tyre using an old Aerite(sp) foot pump as I had told them already about Halfords selling a cheap foot pump - they do not intend to use their car that much so I considered that by suggesting an electric pump could end up with a car with correct pressures but not enough charge left in the battery to start it! I also suggested or showed them, and almost gave them a Ring digital tyre gauge with built in tread depth gauge and selectable display backlight for use in the dark, but ended up adding that gauge to the "stuff" that is in the boot of my wife's Polo, I had sort of run out of love for that gauge as it seemed that depressing the valves on any tyres that had been fitted as replacements in the past meant failing to get a reading, but both the winters and summer tyres on my wife's Polo are still the factory fitted ones, so it works okay. I tend to take my garage pressure gauge with me when travelling far with my car, and that is a Draper digital gauge complete with a "blow off" valve for setting pressures spot on, and it now has a very good clip on connector, a Laser Tools parts.

For them a car is just a bit of well earned freedom from the big smoke, and weekly shopping tool, so maybe they will end up learning the hard way, neither of them is stupid in any way, just not "car people" but goes for nothing on a dark wet roadside with a flat tyre and only what SEAT provided to get them moving again.

Just a side comment, did anyone know that the Arona has "tropicalised" fuel system, I did not know that until I got hold of that car's "CAR DATA" today after dropping them off at the local railway station - okay that means not too much just that there existed, in the parts listing, both versions of the fuel system for that car when the 1.0TSI 115PS is fitted, both use the same filter - if that ever needs replacing.
You inflate with the engine running 😉. Ateca you'd never manage to pump it up by foot.... suspect the Arona is the same so I insisted that an electric pump was the order of the day. Had a few screws stuck in, in the past where you are loosing air fast, so you get it up and head off to the tyre place quick. Too old for changing tyres now 🤔. I show recovery where it is... when I had a wall bulge in one in Luxembourg. Perk of not getting dirty.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You inflate with the engine running 😉. Ateca you'd never manage to pump it up by foot.... suspect the Arona is the same so I insisted that an electric pump was the order of the day. Had a few screws stuck in, in the past where you are loosing air fast, so you get it up and head off to the tyre place quick. Too old for changing tyres now 🤔. I show recovery where it is... when I had a wall bulge in one in Luxembourg. Perk of not getting dirty.
I think that I ran out of enthusiasm maybe 20 years ago, for using a foot pump - even on the garage floor or driveway slabs, just too much effort - but they are younger and fitter, so I suggested a foot pump.

My first tyre compressor was a quite expensive Halfords one, in a grey casing, it lasted only 5 years before it either got too hot quickly or just made too much noise for not much work output. That one was replaced by a Costco jump pack with built in tyre compressor, the compressor lasted ago 5 years so was removed and replaced with a bit of ply wood, and that jump pack or portable battery pack is still in use one battery change later, now 10>15 years old. So, the next tyre compressor was an all metal USA made Goodyear one, again from Costco, that one lasted maybe 5 years, the current one is another "substantial" one, but it is getting near the 5 year age point, so I used that and another excuse to buy a small mains air compressor - so I can do more things in the garage, and survive my next tyre compressor "end of life". Though having a 12V DC tyre compressor in the boot when far away from home - along with a proper quality and easy to use digital tyre pressure gauge, does my me feel a lot happier.

I think that if that daughter and her husband had actually found the time/willingness to check out that 40+ year old foot pump on my wife's Polo tyre, then maybe they would have been in a position to give that "foot pump" idea a body swerve and head for a 12V DC tyre compressor.

Reactions: Tell