Reversing light. Seat Ibiza. Fr Sport Tsi. 1 litre.

Oct 27, 2020
The reversing light on this recently bought ex-dmonstrator is not fit for purpose. (This was not noticed until the first time I had to park at night, several days after purchase.)

QUESTIONS:-
1) Should this model have reversing lights both sides? (Mine appears to be only LHS).
2) Is/are the reversing light/s on this model known to be pathetic?
3) If so, is there a simple solution?

(I'm new to this version of the forum - If the above are already fully answered elsewhere, please re-dirct me)
Thanks
PW

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The reversing light on this recently bought ex-dmonstrator is not fit for purpose. (This was not noticed until the first time I had to park at night, several days after purchase.)

The primary function of a reversing light is to make others aware of your intention to reverse, so if a single halogen reversing light does that, then the car manufacturer‘s view no doubt will be that it is fit for purpose. If manufacturers can get away with installing just one reversing light - and one that’s not particularly bright - so they can save a few pence, then IMO they will. However, I totally agree that they’re pretty essential if you need to reverse at night in an area with no street lighting (I do frequently as there are no street lights where I live).

Until you find a suitable LED replacement for the factory fitted bulb, maybe you could put your hazard warning lights on when reversing, as they will give you some additional rearward illumination.

My VW has two reversing lights (halogen). I also have a reversing camera and the number plate lights are LED so I consider myself quite fortunate. The combination of two reversing lights and two number plate lights provide quite good illumination, and the reversing camera image on the infotainment screen is quite bright, making night time reversing manoeuvres relatively easy.

Hope you find a suitable LED replacement.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
No consolation to you, but the reversing light on a Leon is just as useless and also anly has one on the nearside. Your Ibiza has the same fitting , W16W according to the owners manual and the bulb is an easy change for any decent LED. I fitted one from Autobulbsdirect from their Twenty20 range and the difference is literally like night and day.

Oct 27, 2020
To all those who've commented above. - Thank you for your input.

The Seat dealer (claims to have) examined it today. They say; "... the rear reverse light, ... is acting normally, there is only one light on the Ibiza which is on the passengers side of the vehicle, the other light is a fog light."
So that supports what you say about it.

In summary:-
> There is only 1 reversing light on this model, and ...
> It is useless for illuminating what's behind you. (Toc H lamp?) - Discussion about the legality of this is probably pointless unless a case of "Unfit for purpose" could be established.

Solutions:-
1 Reversing sensors (not standard on this model) - I was planning to get them retro-fitted anyway - I'll look forward to testing their effectiveness.
2 Brighter bulb - As per your suggestions above. (LED equivalent of W16W)?
3 Run Hazard lights while reversing at night.

Thanks guys - PW

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yea both my Leon Mk3 and Ibiza Mk5 FL, had single (dim) reversing light. What a revelation, my current car from Scandinavia bucks this trend and since it's so into safety, has dual reversing lights, can see everything even on the somewhat low res reversing camera.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
As has been previously stated the reversing light is to show other drivers/pedestrians that you are reversing, its not meant to be a pair or rear "headlights". Therefor I can't see how its unfit for purpose. TBH I can't personally say I've ever noticed an issue with it.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yes i don't doubt that the light is indeed 'just to show' others that you are reversing. Likewise the front DRLs are to also show other cars you are there, and not to light up the road. I'm saying that other manufacturers do make these reversing lights brighter and in pairs, where as Seat don't. Do I find my current brighter reverse lights easier to park and see the bay markings where I'm at where I reverse park into my bay where no streetlights reach, yes i do.

Oct 27, 2020
Putting aside matters of the law, and the purpose, we seem to agree that Seat reversing lights are inferior to other makers. We all want and deserve better.
But, we can only start from where we are, and set our own hands to getting to where we'd like to be..

MOVING FORWARD - Help please -
I've bought the LED bulb, but cannot see how to gain access for fitting. There is a small squarish flap in the soft lining of side wall of the boot. Is that the only way in? What is the procedure?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
The owners manual is a good place to start - page 60/61

Oct 27, 2020
Ah, yes, indeed. Owner's Manual P60/61 is a useful start (and I had been too sceptical to guess Seat would include this topic). Thank you "Seriously" for that suggestion.
Manually undoing the white plastic wing nut is straightforward.
The entire lamp cluster moulding now moves a little within the car body, but is reluctant to detach.
I'm reluctant to give it too much grunt in case that proves expensive.
Does it just need a good pull, or is there something else to release first?
Guidance or comment based on your experience of this unit would be appreciated.
Thanks
PW

Oct 27, 2020
Help Please - Removing the lamp cluster moulding.
The manual goes only part way.
After removing the "wing nut", the entire lamp cluster moulding moves a little within the car body, but resists removal.
Does it need force? (I'm cautious, not wishing to break the moulding)
Advice please.

Oct 27, 2020
Cancel that plea for advice. Job done. The transformation (seen while already parked) seems to be ...... Transformational! Looking forward to a "real life" test.
Thanks again to all who contributed.
For the benefit of others performing this for the first time on the same model, I'll post illustrated instructions - But not tonight.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.