Review of Cupra 290 after 800 miles

70 Plate- Cupra 290

Sep 10, 2020
So its been 2 weeks so far and I have driven this beast 800 miles, I have played around with almost everything the car has to offer.

These are my top things about the car:
- Interior design including the digital cockpit is amazing even Mercedes S class owner has sat in and was surprised by the interior
- Power on this thing, I haven't been able to reach its max potential I have only even hit the 6th gear max revs just about at around 130mph (Safely..) before the road ran out its insane!
- Heating/AC The power of petrol I assume for the for the heating to make the entire car super hot within a minute or super cold with its AC.
- Traction is good, this ones a 50/50 however when already rolling and you put your foot down (kick down included) it doesn't wheel spin at all, ofc my tires are new but the traction seems strong and these are standard continental stock tires.

Bad points in my opinion:
- No speed limiter, I understand there is a warning message you can set I used it last night. But its hard to navigate to that menu quickly especially when you are going through average cameras.
- Pops and Bangs turn off so they seem like they are definitely computer controlled. When starting the car in Cupra mode you wont get pop and bangs as much then when you switch to Comfort and back into Cupra the pops and bangs are amazing!
- No mode change on steering wheel, the above point makes me go on to this one. Its annoying having to change the modes through the screen especially when your driving.
- Eco mode profile no premade? You have to change the individual profile and select Eco for engine to use eco mode. Why isnt there a ECO profile premade? That makes no sense there is enough space on the screen too for an extra profile.

Thats everything so far!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
- No speed limiter, I understand there is a warning message you can set I used it last night. But its hard to navigate to that menu quickly especially when you are going through average cameras.

Just set the speed on the cruise control? if limit is 50 set it to 50, guarantee GPS it will be 48-49.

Oliver Stapleton

Oct 19, 2019
Worksop
- Pops and Bangs turn off so they seem like they are definitely computer controlled. When starting the car in Cupra mode you wont get pop and bangs as much then when you switch to Comfort and back into Cupra the pops and bangs are amazing!

The car actually turns only the engine to standard every time it is turned off supposedly to prevent damage, It is annoying but if it says you are in CUPRA mode and you have not changed it since startup then you are probably in CUPRA mode for everything except the engine... (Hence the pops and bangs being inconsistent.)

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
The car actually turns only the engine to standard every time it is turned off supposedly to prevent damage, It is annoying but if it says you are in CUPRA mode and you have not changed it since startup then you are probably in CUPRA mode for everything except the engine... (Hence the pops and bangs being inconsistent.)
Prevent damage from what? It's only throttle response that changes on the engine in Cupra

Last edited:

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Prevent damage from what? It's only throttle response that changes on the engine in Cupra
It also idles higher to keep the turbo spooled up but I don't see this damaging the engine either. It changes gear a lot later in the rev range in the DSG too.
Only thing I can think of is whatever the ECU does to make the pops and bangs isn't good for an engine start up but it wouldn't have been hard for them to start in comfort and switch to Cupra after a set period if engine safety is the reason.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Turbos work off load not the rpm of an engine, higher rpm is to give a sportier feel and the dsg gearbox will engage quicker when pulling off due to the higher rpm, nothing changes to cause pops and bangs expect throttle response, been plenty of data runs where modes and have been changed and its just throttle response

Reactions: Danboar
Sep 17, 2020
Turbos work off load not the rpm of an engine, higher rpm is to give a sportier feel and the dsg gearbox will engage quicker when pulling off due to the higher rpm, nothing changes to cause pops and bangs expect throttle response, been plenty of data runs where modes and have been changed and its just throttle response
Tbf I've had my car coming up three weeks now and have set the individual mode to sport on suspension and engine, cupra on the other setting and these seems a better fit to our roads/weather and you don't get the horrid fake noise in the cockpit, does pop and bang alot also a very loud fud on upshifting when pushing on hard. The power seem exactly the same as cupra.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.