Revo DQ381 7-speed DSG software any good ?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Can someone who has got this and maybe had other DSG software comment if it’s any good ?
Smooth, driveability, shift speed etc etc

I’m also particularly interested in manual mode settings.

Does it still shift up at redline in manual mode ? (When stick is pushed The the left )
I WANT this behaviour but hearing conflicting reports.

A user on Facebook group says it only shifts up in gears 1-2 when in manual mode and then gears 3-7 it will just stop at the limiter.
He also posted a video of this

Revo tell me manual mode will behave like stock, so shift up at Redline.

@Jenko @queen do you have the Revo DSG software ??
Can you confirm this ?

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I think Revo are great for a software engine remap but not so much for DSG tune imo , after loads of research I ended up going for a TVS dsg tune which is great but not cheap.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Can someone who has got this and maybe had other DSG software comment if it’s any good ?
Smooth, driveability, shift speed etc etc

I’m also particularly interested in manual mode settings.

Does it still shift up at redline in manual mode ? (When stick is pushed The the left )
I WANT this behaviour but hearing conflicting reports.

A user on Facebook group says it only shifts up in gears 1-2 when in manual mode and then gears 3-7 it will just stop at the limiter.
He also posted a video of this

Revo tell me manual mode will behave like stock, so shift up at Redline.

@Jenko @queen do you have the Revo DSG software ??
Can you confirm this ?
Basically I drive the car either in comfort (everyday point a to b driving) or in cupra mode.
What I can tell you so far is that in comfort mode it holds the gears longer. It shifts into a lower gear way earlier than before the tune, when it doesn't really need to, so much that I had to change the way I depress the gas so I can avoid it.
Tbh I didn't find the stock tune to be harsh so for me it feels as smooth as before (in either mode). It's also supposed to shift faster but I can't tell the difference, it's not that obvious.
When I have it in manual I just use the paddles, I don't move the lever to the side. This way it does change gears at redline on its own, redline now is around 7200, I aim to shift around 6500-6700. I've yet to try 1st gear pull and lc. Next time I'll try moving it to the side and see if it behaves differently, I'll be able to tell you probably this Sunday.
If I had a TVS dealer close to me I'd go for the TVS tune, more popular with great reviews and a lot more stages to choose from based on your performance level.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for the feedback.
I’ve had TVS previously so I know it’s good.

The Revo DSG is something I’m interested in as it currently discounted and half the price of TVS.

My current DSG is a custom one with faster shifts, increased clamping (16bar) and torque limiter removed.
But it has all the annoying points of stock, re gear selection in auto.

Re manual mode, stock behaviour is as follows for DQ381

1) Use paddle to go into manual mode.
Auto up shift at redline, auto downshift (to stop stalling).
BUT IT RETURNS TO AUTO AFTER SEVERAL SECONDS.
I’m not sure of kickdown in this mode as not tried it.

2) Knock stick into Manual.
Auto upshifts at redline, auto downshift (to stop stalling)
STAYS IN MANUAL MODE
No kickdown.

This behaviour above is what I want to retain as it works well.
Revo have told me stock manual operating mode is retained, but I’ve been told as per my OP, that it only auto upshifts 1-2 and 3 and above just sits at the limiter.

Im aware with TVS they can do what I want on request.

Just to give some background on why I want to retain stock manual behaviour….
I personally see no benefit in it NOT auto upshifting at redline.
Why would I want to hit the limiter if I mess up ?
There is no power after the redline anyway.
In manual mode (stick across method) it’s perfect, no kickdown, but will upshift if you forget or miss the paddle (whilst cornering for example)

When I first had my current DSG tune, they initially removed auto upshift in manual, but after a few days I hated it, I’d hit the limiter a couple of times by mistake.
They re adjusted it for me to stock behaviour and it’s just as I like 👍🏻

Hope that all makes sense.
Thanks for the replies

Last edited:

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Clear story. Full manual up and downshifts on mine. The only two things I don’t like/understand on the TVS (Stage 2+) tune is:

- In “S” when driving hard the DSG is shifting when lifting the throttle. So for example; when in 3rd gear, high RPM, let off the throttle the DSG is shifting anyway.

- Driving away and shifting to 2nd gear is a bit weird. Almost like driving an old Torque converter car. Driving away is not crisp so to speak.

Do you recognize the last point on your tune?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Interesting, I’ll possibly end up going TVS if I can’t get the info I need on the Revo one.

The points you dislike on the TVS one sound odd, can’t understand why it would shift up still even if you were off the throttle 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I can say I’ve noticed your last point.
When you say not crisp, do you mean slow or delayed ?
Or vibrations or something ?

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Interesting, I’ll possibly end up going TVS if I can’t get the info I need on the Revo one.

The points you dislike on the TVS one sound odd, can’t understand why it would shift up still even if you were off the throttle 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I can say I’ve noticed your last point.
When you say not crisp, do you mean slow or delayed ?
Or vibrations or something ?

Yeah. I’m pretty sure a non-tuned DSG (DQ250 and DQ381) does not shift when you’re off the throttle. I live in The Netherlands, so the tune is flashed at TVS HQ. Still have to contact them about it.

Well, when driving away in “D” from a stand still, It’s revving a lot before shifting to 2nd gear. It’s like you would driving away in a full manual car. Underneath there is a video from a Skoda VRS with the same TVS tune. You can see that his DSG is doing it as well. It makes me think it’s part of the tune, but I find it a little strange.

Hope you get me haha. ;)

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
1) Use paddle to go into manual mode.
Auto up shift at redline, auto downshift (to stop stalling).
BUT IT RETURNS TO AUTO AFTER SEVERAL SECONDS.
I’m not sure of kickdown in this mode as not tried it.
This happens with the Revo tune as well.

2) Knock stick into Manual.
Auto upshifts at redline, auto downshift (to stop stalling)
STAYS IN MANUAL MODE
No kickdown.
I'll get back to you on this one.

- Driving away and shifting to 2nd gear is a bit weird. Almost like driving an old Torque converter car. Driving away is not crisp so to speak.
Do you mean that it's like the car almost starts in 2nd gear? If that's the case it happens on the stock tune but disappears with the revo tune.

Reactions: Slickric21

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Do you mean that it's like the car almost starts in 2nd gear? If that's the case it happens on the stock tune but disappears with the revo tune.

It’s starting in 1st gear. But when entering a roundabout for example, so with medium sort of throttle the DSG is making a lot of RPM before shifting to 2nd gear. So, basically it’s slipping a lot between these two gears when pulling of medium.

I will try to record a video soon.

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Recorded some quick videos about what I mean today. Didn’t had time to record some good content using a GoPro. As you can see It’s slipping a lot in 1st and 2nd gear. The harder you accelerate, the more It’s slipping. It’s defenitely not the Clutch Pack as it’s doing it just after the tuning and only in the first two gears.

So, If you decide to go with TVS keep this in mind. Maybe they can customize it.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Its a job to tell from that clip but mines nothing like what your describing, the good thing about TVS is that it can be customised to whatever you want.

Reactions: Leon097

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Its a job to tell from that clip but mines nothing like what your describing, the good thing about TVS is that it can be customised to whatever you want.
Yes, you’re right. When I re-watch the videos myself It’s indeed hard to tell. Will make a better video soon.

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Sadly no better video today.

You will never believe what happened today.... I was driving when suddenly the gearbox gave an error on the virtual cockpit. Almost immediately the car/gearbox started to rattle and bang.

I immediately stopped and ended up being towed. While waiting to be towed away I quickly scanned the car and the gearbox gave the following error codes:

- P175E00 Clutch 1 closes unintentionally
- P176F00 Clutch 2 closes unintentionally

• Wow
Reactions: queen

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Sadly no better video today.

You will never believe what happened today.... I was driving when suddenly the gearbox gave an error on the virtual cockpit. Almost immediately the car/gearbox started to rattle and bang.

I immediately stopped and ended up being towed. While waiting to be towed away I quickly scanned the car and the gearbox gave the following error codes:

- P175E00 Clutch 1 closes unintentionally
- P176F00 Clutch 2 closes unintentionally
Now that's a nightmare 😳

Leon097

Jun 13, 2021
The Netherlands
Yeah It is. We will see. Didn’t sound quite right. If they are able to fix it, I hope I don’t have hidden damage.

Anyway, I’m almost taking over the topic now, sorry for that.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
@queen did you get chance to test the redline up-shifting in full manual mode yet ?

We had bad weather last weekend so unfortunately I couldn't do a lot of tests or check all the gears. I could only test 2nd and 3rd at redline, in 2nd gear it shifts automatically at redline, 3rd gear you have to shift manually. It also auto downshifts to stop stalling, stays in manual and doesn't kickdown. Also when you drive normally it shows the optimal gear on the dashboard i.e. 4->6. The person you mentioned the one on facebook seems to be correct.
I wonder if it could also be down to the specific version of the dsg tune?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.