Roof box - need suggestions.

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
We sold the wife’s Ateca in March as she’s now getting a Crown Car for work from the NHS.

We regularly go to Ireland to the in-laws, with a growing family, I will need to get roof bars and a roof box for these trips. Does anyone have any recommendations for MY19 Cupra Lux? Don’t even know where to start.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
We go camping and use a roofbox. This is on our old car with thule aero bars. Cupra ST300

The roof box is a very good size and for the money is very good for a gloss finished one.

Roof box only opens on one side. There are some that open either side but usually more expensive. Think summit do smaller ones as well if its too big.

We have changed to a tarraco now which we will be using the roof box on that eventually.
d85381086cfd2d4ae7214f18391506f0.jpg
ca957cafb846c6210bac2c8f15b3663f.jpg
33de76659ac90967ff0e7f1e8735f913.jpg

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
We go camping and use a roofbox. This is on our old car with thule aero bars. Cupra ST300

The roof box is a very good size and for the money is very good for a gloss finished one.

Roof box only opens on one side. There are some that open either side but usually more expensive. Think summit do smaller ones as well if its too big.

We have changed to a tarraco now which we will be using the roof box on that eventually.
d85381086cfd2d4ae7214f18391506f0.jpg
ca957cafb846c6210bac2c8f15b3663f.jpg
33de76659ac90967ff0e7f1e8735f913.jpg

Which bike carrier is that if you don't mind me asking please?

We've always hired thule motion roof box es from a local company when going away for a long period.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
ST or 5Dr? They will require different feet to attach bars.

I purchased Yakima aero bars - very quiet, more expensive than most, but I change my cars quite frequently, and you can buy a new foot pack for £25, so a saving in the longer term. (Note the ST foot pack doesn’t use the holes for spigots on the rails). I’ve fitted these bars to Mk3 5Dr, Mk3.5 ST, A3 Sportback and BMW F31 and fitment has been perfect. The switching between feet packs can be a little tricky, but once in place all is good.

I also purchased a kamei delphin 340l box (this company make the VAG OEM ones that you purchase via the dealer accessories brochure). This allows flexibility to put 1 bike rack on the roof too, but also prevents overloading - Seat roof is limited to 75-80 kg depending on model, and the bars and box together probably weigh 10-15 kg depending what you buy. To be honest the box was expensive, and for the infrequent use, with hindsight I would probably gone for a cheaper model - however, aerodynamics, aesthetics and ita ability to keep everything dry we’re factors that I considered.

When you buy the box and bars, there is usually a discount when purchasing together. Use this company many times over the years - customer service is excellent, and answer any questions promptly:

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
I use a kamei husky. It’s a 3/4 width box so I can still fit my Thule bike holder and bike on the bars next to it. Husky is the smallest of the Kamei range but it’s still massive inside. I pack it with a deflated kayak, all the accessories , camping chairs , bike gear and there’s still room for more. It has 2 key locks and 2 extra catching points so it’s securely closed. The U-bolts are wide enough to fit around Thule wingbars so no need to remove the rubbers or it can be fitted into the t- tracks with the adaptors. I can manage and fit the husky on my own, not sure if bigger boxes can be handled by one person.
I’ve driven over 15k miles with it on my cars and it’s always felt secure.

One thing to add is do you have somewhere to store it when not on the car, these are bigger than they look in situ. Roof box sell a strap system if your garage ceiling can support them or there are wall mounted brackets available.

If you like the bike rack above, before I used bars and a holder I had a Saris Bones which was excellent.

Reactions: eltawater

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Which bike carrier is that if you don't mind me asking please?

We've always hired thule motion roof box es from a local company when going away for a long period.
Actually no idea what bike carrier it is as a mate gave me it.

Jan 30, 2021
I use a kamei husky. It’s a 3/4 width box so I can still fit my Thule bike holder and bike on the bars next to it. Husky is the smallest of the Kamei range but it’s still massive inside. I pack it with a deflated kayak, all the accessories , camping chairs , bike gear and there’s still room for more. It has 2 key locks and 2 extra catching points so it’s securely closed. The U-bolts are wide enough to fit around Thule wingbars so no need to remove the rubbers or it can be fitted into the t- tracks with the adaptors. I can manage and fit the husky on my own, not sure if bigger boxes can be handled by one person.
I’ve driven over 15k miles with it on my cars and it’s always felt secure.

One thing to add is do you have somewhere to store it when not on the car, these are bigger than they look in situ. Roof box sell a strap system if your garage ceiling can support them or there are wall mounted brackets available.

If you like the bike rack above, before I used bars and a holder I had a Saris Bones which was excellent.
Hi

how far does this overhang the windscreen and boot? Is it still possible to open the boot?

thanks

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Hi

how far does this overhang the windscreen and boot? Is it still possible to open the boot?

thanks

I've used the box on both my golf and freetrack , boot opens easily. Overhang at the front is about 6 inches when i've fitted but there are sliders in the box so you can adjust back and forward probably 20cm. I just set mine at the further point going backwards as in my head it has no further travel? If your bars and box are set up right you'll hardly get any buffering.
These are the only pics I can find.

Attachments

• IMG_E3745 (2).JPG
    IMG_E3745 (2).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3744 (2).PNG
    IMG_3744 (2).PNG
    196.7 KB · Views: 125
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.