S3 intercooler- first impressions

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I can't see how an intercooler would increase fuel consumption... unless you're using your lead foot a little more than usual with it running cooler ;)

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Both are unlikely, a slight increase in volume won't make that difference especially with temperatures dropping at the moment (and the stock ic is more than capable for current conditions).
I had the S3 intercooler combined with the twintercooler and could only spot a fast improvement on very hot days (and not until the car got a map suited for all the mods I had installed).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
Riga, Latvia
Its not clear, cause weather is aprox constant for a few weeks and the only modiffication I made is this S3 intercooler.

P.S. I have Forge Twintake and DV and stock exhaust. No remaps made yet

JMP

May 27, 2004
I noticed exactly the same thing when I changed s3 cooler to my GTI. I tend to monitor my consumption always during start of my drive as I drive the same road with same style. As soon as I changed the cooler I hit all time lows for the consumption. Great mod

avendit

Jul 27, 2011
Is it £££? And would it still work on an FR? Stage 1 remap, so a bit of danger of heat soak, but usually I'm going fast enough to get plenty of air over the stock cooler.

Avendit

Aug 1, 2012
Riga, Latvia
I bought it used for 200 euro and replaced original Cupra intercooler.
They are almost the same size, the difference is S3 has full alloy construction, whereas original has plastic sides.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.