Satnav and google maps

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
Evening. This has probably been covered before but i've searched the threads and found very little. I understand that more than a few people have issues with the infotainment system in the mk4 SEATs but im trying to find specific info on activating google maps in android auto. I have had the 1.0 seat leon mk4 se dynamic tsi evo since january this year. Now i have faffed and played with the infotainment system until the cows came home and 2 things occur to me
1. Google maps will activate in android auto wirelessly but i have no idea how i have done this in the past. Sometimes i switch the car on and its just there. Most times not tho.
2. Intergrated system maps will work with a postcode but only show longitude and latitude on the map. While i have been told the position is correct, it does not show any info on destination unless the full address is entered.
Too much of a chew on and i would prefer google if im honest. I am by no means a technophobe but i find the progress in vehicle techy techy to be going to far for me Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
1. Try removing your phone from the list of devices, and re-adding. Mine doesn't always automatically connect to CarPlay (or it will show the device name on the screen, and I have to tape the button for it to initate a connection). Seems to be a bug.
2. Yeah that's how it handles it unfortunately. Stick with Google Maps.

The latest software updates for the infotainment system fix a lot of previous bugs, but there's still a LOT left over to squash. You'd think VAG would have sorted themselves out by now...

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
When it's not connecting, are you near your home?

The reason I ask is, it connects to the cars WiFi and the Bluetooth and that gives the full link. If you are sat in your drive for example and connected to your home WiFi, it won't establish the full link and you will have to manually connect to the car...or wait until your home WiFi drops out as you pull away.

Also if you're out an about you may loose it if you have a default WiFi hotspot set up(such as o2 wifi) that overrides the car one if you drive past an open network.

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
It doesn't seem to matter where i am. To he clear, the phone has no problem connecting, its just trying to get google maps to activate through android auto. My music and audio books play no problem. Was just wondering if there was a trick to it that i'm not aware of.

Deleted member 123864

It doesn't seem to matter where i am. To he clear, the phone has no problem connecting, its just trying to get google maps to activate through android auto. My music and audio books play no problem. Was just wondering if there was a trick to it that i'm not aware of.
By the sounds of things you're not in Android Auto mode at all, just a regular Bluetooth connection?

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
I am in android auto mode. I can access all things through it except google maps, apart from when it decides it wants to play. It has activated 3 or 4 times randomly now.

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
From what i can tell, I can't install a google maps app bit access it through the phone to be displayed on the screen via cable or wirelessly. As i have mentioned, it has activated purely randomly that i can fathom through wireless. I have tried with cable too but not manged it that way as of yet. The installed system is pants.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
It's definitely phone related as Android Auto and Carplay are just "projections" of your phone. It's likely there's a checkbox unticked somewhere on your phone (see the link posted) that's set Maps to be disabled or not to display on the car.

Deleted member 123864

Take a picture of what you do see when you have Android Auto on the screen.

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414_172136_Android Auto.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414_172136_Android Auto.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 112

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
Screen shots of my phone screen and car screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414_173025_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414_173025_Gallery.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 110

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
Take a picture of what you do see when you have Android Auto on the screen.
I had another play around just this afternoon. Google maps activated. Ive yet to see if it was something i did or just another random startup.

Deleted member 123864

Screen shots of my phone screen and car screen.
Scroll down. If maps is not there, click on Customise Launcher on your phone (see your phone screenshot) and enable it and move it to the top.

Chromedome

Apr 12, 2023
Scroll down. If maps is not there, click on Customise Launcher on your phone (see your phone screenshot) and enable it and move it to the top.
google maps is in customise menu but i can't select it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_231808_Android Auto.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_231808_Android Auto.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 83
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.