SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TDI Unstable RPM

Vulcan

Jan 15, 2017
Hi guys, I'm new here but I need help with my Ibiza, it's a 1.2 TDI, 61 plate, it's got an EGR issue, it's going back to garage to be checked under warranty, but over the last week or so it's started behaving really odd. It started out that under hard acceleration the RPM would suddenly jump, this would happen passing about 1500RPM, just around where the turbo kicks in, but far more than normal to the point it almost feels like I've dropped the clutch in for an instant, I'm talking a spike to something like 3000RPM and then dropping back to 2000 and carrying on like nothing happened. As I say it started under hard acceleration however the threshold has been dropping and now it will often do it even sitting at a constant speed, and is no longer limited to 1500RPM, however only seems to occur at 1500+. It's so bad that the cruise control is unusable since I can be sat with that on, all of a sudden a spike will occur and cruise control drops out (I presume it's a safety feature) Something else I've noticed is that when the RPM becomes unstable like this the gear indication on the digital display will often appear to be confused, for example coming home today down a motorway I was stuck behind a lorry about 55 in 5th, put my foot down to overtake, RPM shot up and the display all of a sudden said I was in 3rd then started advising me to change up to 4th.
Is this all related to the EGR or is it likely another issue too? I have noticed my clutch bite point is pretty high, could these issue be caused by my clutch being on it's way out? Or is it an ECU issue?
I've scanned it with an OBD reader and the only fault that comes up is the EGR.
Any advice appreciated, cheers!

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Sounds like a clutch issue to me, I've had the EGR issue on my FR and all it caused was the engine management light, I've also had a clutch replacement and it sounds like when I needed my new clutch!
How many miles has your car done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vulcan

Jan 15, 2017
Yeah, I've done a bit of reading on the EGR, some places say it doesn't effect driving others say it can make the throttle touchy. I'm really hoping it isn't the clutch, just out of interest roughly how much is a new clutch likely to cost me? Since it's coming to the end of it's warranty in a couple of days so I'm gonna have to pay on that....

The EGR valve is getting replaced in the next day or 2, so we'll see what it does then, and if it's still behaving oddly Halfords auto enter offer free clutch checks, so might try that, cheers.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Well my clutch was for a 2.0tdi and that was £600 fully fitted but a mate of mine fitted it so need to add labour on that!
I wouldn't bother getting the EGR replaced, if just get it removed and mapped out!

Vulcan

Jan 15, 2017
I did consider having it removed and mapped out, though the replacement is covered under warranty, whereas I'd have to pay to have it removed and mapped out, and given that I'm on a tight budget at the minute I decided to get the free option :D Especially considering the kind of price range you've pointed me at for the clutch....well anyways I shall update this if anything changes once I've got it back.

Thanks.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
I imagine that the 1.2 doesn't need as expensive a clutch but it's DMF that costs lots

Vulcan

Jan 15, 2017
Yeah, I hope not. If it is the clutch does the DMF need changing as well or can the clutch be changed separately?

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Best to do it at the same time but in terms of the price of parts the DMF is nearly double the price

Vulcan

Jan 15, 2017
Well, fingers crossed it's not clutch/DMF then!
Thanks, I shall see what the next few days bring.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.