Seat Ibiza - Shallow Oil top-up location???

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey all,

Got a weird one and wondered if anyone has any hacks or away around this. On the 1.2 tsi engines, the oil top filler hole, is extremely shallow, and every year oil spills ensue regardless of me taking my time and using cloths and rags. Why is the fill hole so shallow and is there anything that can be done to make this easier.

See this video at 5:46 if your ensure of what I mean:

Thank you.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I have a selection of funnels and I just use the largest one that will fit past that plate/thingie inside the fill hole. It doesn't make the process any faster but it makes it easier to pour and avoids the spills.

HTH.

Martin

Reactions: everson38

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I bought maybe a Laser Tools engine oil filling thing for VW Group cars, it engages in the same way as the filler cap, so that means that it seals well enough to avoid oil getting spilled, probably bought for servicing my 2011 S4, but gets used on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 16V.

Edit:- after watching that video I can see what you mean, very slow "filler" even the trusted mechanic made a mess, shame he fitted a basic pollen filter to replace a carbon coated one!

Last edited:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I bought maybe a Laser Tools engine oil filling thing for VW Group cars, it engages in the same way as the filler cap, so that means that it seals well enough to avoid oil getting spilled, probably bought for servicing my 2011 S4, but gets used on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 16V.

Edit:- after watching that video I can see what you mean, very slow "filler" even the trusted mechanic made a mess, shame he fitted a basic pollen filter to replace a carbon coated one!
Hey Rum,

Any chance of a link to this tool your refering to?

Yes the shallow filler is extremely tedious, I'm cautious with filling up anyway but the puts you back a whole another level. If you look at the video the is another hole with a.cover plate on top of with been ng held down with two bolts. What is this for? Cam inspection, curious to know if this could be used as a filler? But I am in the camp if it ain't broke don't touch it also lol

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Here is a link to their latest version of this for VAG cars:- https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/8301/Oil-Funnel-Set-for-VAG

At that price, I would never have bothered buying it, my earlier version is just the one fitting for VAG cars and I'd guess, only cost me £20max almost 10 years ago - but you get the idea if nothing else!

I don't know these 3 cylinder engines so I can't comment on what that cover is or if it is a smart idea to use it for filling - though I'd doubt if you should bother going down that road.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Here is a link to their latest version of this for VAG cars:- https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/8301/Oil-Funnel-Set-for-VAG

At that price, I would never have bothered buying it, my earlier version is just the one fitting for VAG cars and I'd guess, only cost me £20max almost 10 years ago - but you get the idea if nothing else!

I don't know these 3 cylinder engines so I can't comment on what that cover is or if it is a smart idea to use it for filling - though I'd doubt if you should bother going down that road.
Wel out of curiousity I had a look at the what was under the cover plate and the plate is actually some type of plastic fitting with some o-rings attached into a housing area. Not sure what this is for.
7fb2d32f1008027456124507e0599606.jpg
ead16a73e97dc830d7e1555e026ade47.jpg
b3d411dddf5e799819da7a205a4bb45e.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I was going to offer a suggestion and that would have been it is the oil/air separator, but I deleted that posting and went to check on the online parts listing, and yes my gut feeling was correct, it is the oil/air separator.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise