Seat Leon Cupra 280 Fuel leak

ben

Nov 26, 2015
Hey all!

I recently bought a Leon cupra 280 and noticed that if I drive the car around, stop, and then restart the engine (say to go into a shop and then come back out and drive off), then there’s a short burst of petrol smell coming through my AC. It lasts for around 5 seconds and then does not return while driving. No fuel smells when the car has been left for more than 30 mins and then the engine is started.

The car is 5 years old has only done 31k miles. It has a full MOT and Service history with the last MOT being 8 weeks ago.

I took it to a mechanic today, we had a look around, the fuel pump looked a bit dirty so he scrubbed it off where he could reach and suggested to monitor as nothing blatantly obvious although there was a petrol smell in the engine bay strongest around the fuel pump. He didn’t charge me anything for the inspection and said he’ll speak with someone he knows at Seat and see if they know of any common faults.

We noticed then when we restarted the engine that the base of one bolt which fixes the fuel pump down looked a bit wet around the base. (See picture for suspect
Bolt). He said just to keep an eye on and he’ll let me know if his friend gives us any useful info.

I feel like this is the source since this site has the most pungent smell of petrol and does look shiny around the base although it is certainly subtle.

My questions are (May seem stupid as I’m no expert with mechanics)

Will a full new fuel pump be needed (mechanic suggested this may be the case as if the bolt has a leak might be a fine casting error internally somewhere since the bolt isn’t engaged directly with any fuel) I was wondering whether there was a gasket that might be damaged?

Are fuel pump issues with Leon Cupra?

Is the fuel pump for the cupra 280 any different from the ones on the FR etc as the second hand ones seem quite nonspecific about which models to use it on?

Any other advice?

Attachments

• 89195657-E425-492C-B0C1-46C447ADFDAD.jpeg
    89195657-E425-492C-B0C1-46C447ADFDAD.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 361

ben

Nov 26, 2015
Note this was a private purchase so not under a returns guarantee or anything

Oh and if anyone has any ball park predictions on cost, that would also be appreciated :)

ben

Nov 26, 2015
Got a call back - not a common fault. If unit is leaking, replace whole unit. Bought a used part for 50 quid. 1 hour job to replace.

Reactions: LouG
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.