Seat Leon mk2 2012 clockspring fault?

Konkonex

Dec 24, 2015
Hi,

I have a seat leon mk2 2012

The steering wheel controls + horn no longer work, an airbag light is lit and the MFD says ERROR: Airbag.

Theres a rustling noise when using the steering wheel.

It seems like its the clock spring thats at fault, Ive seen several posts about this online and that seems to be the problem.

Ive tried contacting several local mechanics with no luck, 1 said that, and I quote "you need to go to the main dealer as seat leons have a special tool to remove the steering wheel", but from what I see on a youtube video, theres pretty standard tools to remove it... tools anyone can get.

Is there any truth to the special tool comment?

I read as well from some posts that there needs to be some reprogramming after the clockspring is replaced, but also most posts dont mention reprogramming.

Could I simply replace the clockspring without any reprogramming with VCDS/VAG?

I've found several clocksprings on ebay, but obviously want to ensure I get the right part, are all the mk2 seat leon clocksprings the same? I believe mine is specifically "seat leon mk2 cupra fr".

I have the tools listed torx 20 + 25 + multi spline m12 and obviously other screwdrivers/etc... that are shown in a youtube video.... it doesnt seem impossible to do, but mainly I want to ensure I find the right part and know if programming is required as that would hinder me as I dont have the programming tool

Thanks guys

Konkonex

Dec 24, 2015
To add on here, I've been quoted

Parts £265.06

Labour £169.20 (including possible coding and clearing faults)

Diagnostics £79

I believe I have an OBD2 cable somewhere so could potentially reset codes if it was possible, but as the OP says, I've not got a VCDS/VAG tool though.

So if anyone could tell me if code clearing or programming is required, that would be great, I'd prefer to buy the part from ebay and try that route... but dont know if it will fit correctly...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.