Seat model dilemma

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
Hi, I have googled and searched on this forum, but am still a little confused on the difference between the FR sport and xcellence lux trims?

I drive a FR sport hatch on Saturday with the 2.0tsi engine which I loved.

I've seen a really nice Leon ST in xcellence lux trim with the same 2.0tsi.

I could do with the extra boot space with a new dog in the household.

I know you cant select drive modes on the xcellence lux and I'm not sure if that would be a deal breaker for me? As I really liked the different profiles.

Is the xcellence lux still quite responsive like when the FR sport is in sport mode?

The FR sport ST are few and far between, but I'm not in a hurry to get my next car so can wait if the FR sport is a better fit.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
The xcellence lux is probably more likely to have more extras than a fr. Things like wireless charging etc. There was an fr tech at one stage which would have had similar extras. Otherwise the main difference between the FR and my 17 plate xcellence tech is the slightly less stiff suspension (wasn't a much difference when I test drove both) and the driving profiles are only on the FR as stated before.

Reactions: Andy Knoxville

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
The xcellence lux is probably more likely to have more extras than a fr. Things like wireless charging etc. There was an fr tech at one stage which would have had similar extras. Otherwise the main difference between the FR and my 17 plate xcellence tech is the slightly less stiff suspension (wasn't a much difference when I test drove both) and the driving profiles are only on the FR as stated before.
Thank you for the reply.

Have you got the 2.0tsi? I drove the FR sport hatch with 2.0tsi and loved the pickup. Is the xcellence much the same with regard too pulling away, etc?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The engines are the same 2.0TSI 190PS. Pickup would be the same, as same gearbox, just the FR would have more stiff suspension. Xcellence probably comes with 17 inch rims, where as FR Sport has the 18 inch rims, which may be less comfy, noiser, and more harsh on uneven roads.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
FR Sport has the 18 inch rims, which may be less comfy, nosier, and more harsh on uneven roads.

The facelift FR on 18'' wheels has a really good balance to it. Not too harsh or crashy around town but still taut and flat in the bends.

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
The facelift FR on 18'' wheels has a really good balance to it. Not too harsh or crashy around town but still taut and flat in the bends.

Thank you for confirming.

I think I'm going to wait for a FR ST too become available as I really enjoyed the hatch, buy want the extra space of the ST.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think I'm going to wait for a FR ST too become available as I really enjoyed the hatch, buy want the extra space of the ST.

It's a nobrainer. On the move, they feel different but I wouldn't say the ST is worse. It doesn't feel as agile but feels more stable and planted. I like both but if I had to pick one I'd have the ST.

And the space is great! not just the room in the boot but the other features the ST has which make life easier, like the roof bars and power socket and tie-down rings in the boot.

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
It's a nobrainer. On the move, they feel different but I wouldn't say the ST is worse. It doesn't feel as agile but feels more stable and planted. I like both but if I had to pick one I'd have the ST.

And the space is great! not just the room in the boot but the other features the ST has which make life easier, like the roof bars and power socket and tie-down rings in the boot.

That's one thing I'm looking forward too. Being able to put roof bars on without having to have them under my door seals like they do with my golf at the moment.

Also didn't realise there's a power socket in the boot as well? That is a bonus!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That's one thing I'm looking forward too. Being able to put roof bars on without having to have them under my door seals like they do with my golf at the moment. Also didn't realize there's a power socket in the boot as well? That is a bonus!

And it can take a full sized spare wheel!

I have a set of roof bars with three bike carriers bolted to them. I can drop the whole assembly onto the roof rails and tighten the clamps in literally one minute. After use, undo the clamps and lift the bars off until the next time. Fantastic!

I have a friend who has bars that attach in the same way as the Leon hatch. His bars have dented the roof.

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
Would you recommend the roof bars your using? I currently have the official VW ones for my golf. But would need to find new ones for the ST.

Being able too take a full size spare is amazing! I assume I could pick up a spare and fixing kit from eBay?

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
I have these ones: LINK

I've used them many times, taken them off and on every time, no problems. Once the clamps are set in the right position, you just sit them on the rails and tighten up the claws.
Thank you, Farad stuff is really good quality! Also the price is really good as well.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you, Farad stuff is really good quality! Also the price is really good as well.

I was a bit skeptical about the plastic clamps but I've had three mountain bikes on the roof on twisty roads with no issues. I'd buy the same bars again.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise