SEAT Sport Uk to go Derv -Official

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
lets hope they don't fit mpg gauges to the cars.i don't want to see JP and DT trying to get optimum mpg from the car and then posting it on here :D

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
How long until Steve Neal whinges about their unfair advantage? :lol: Will they still make those flamespitting downchanges or is that now a thing of the past? I'm not too clued up about diesel racecars.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not sure myself Iain, there a few questions yet on the dervs. I'm not sure they would firespit, not sure diesel has the flashpoint to do it. The unburnt diesel would need to ignite in the exhaust??

I know they sound weird, watching them on TV for the WTCC.

Just texted Scott to see if they are putting these new engines into the existing 3 year old chassis they have or getting all new cars from Spain. The reports kind of indicate they are retro-fitting them into the old cars.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
How long until Steve Neal whinges about their unfair advantage? :lol: Will they still make those flamespitting downchanges or is that now a thing of the past? I'm not too clued up about diesel racecars.

Sure Matt Neal will overcome any advantage with his usual style of driving, probably use the infamous Neal slam - this is where you run into the back of an opponents car intentionally then fein innocence. Or the Neal after-race outrage- this is where you insist other drivers are to blame for your own shite driving.

Only donside is , the bloody sound. I like my race cars to make a noise not a whoosh sound. Pray its only this year, and next year they get back to a proper car. The SCC cars sound amazing so at least thats ok i suppose.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
They sounded a bit louder at the Brands WTCC meeting than Rick Kerry's 1 series BMW did at the BTCC, but it still sounds strange. We'll get used to it I suppose!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
tobe honest 2yrs of Le mans tdi's and i still won't get used to it.

it was embarassing at Race of champiosn this year when the R10 tdi went round, it was near silent. we want bang bang on gear shift.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales

I've no idea if they'd spit flames... the flash point of petrol is much lower than diesel, but the auto ignition temperature of diesel is a lot lower than petrol...

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
They can sound like hairdryers as long as they win races, in my opinion. :D

Exactly!:clap:

Yes I am sure it has it's reasons for it's criticisms but at the end of the day (overused cliche time!) so long as it is first legal and second competitive then what is the problem?

Because one problem I hear (no pun intended) is sound. Or lack of it. Yes you cannot beat the roar of the engine but I am sure few would complain about the sound of Jases' Leon if it came in first.

Another problem is people think it gives the team an unfair advantage. Do we criticise or penalise VXR for getting Fabrizio Giovanardi because he is a better driver than what any other team has? Or do we criticise or penalise TD for introducting what turned out to be the most competitive and title winning car for 2 years running (Integra)? I am sure the answer is no. I don't know about you guys but my answer is based on the fact VXR and TD I am sure just exercised their right to take whatever steps they felt they had to in order to develop themselves as a team and their chances of getting silverware.

I am sure that is all that Scott is doing with the TDi. Because whatever the reason for introducing the TDi he is not doing it certainly because he want's to give the team an unfair advantage and make it next to impossibly difficult for other teams like VXR, TD and WSR to compete.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
They make next to no sound at all, just a limp whistle as they smog past

a man who owns throttles bodies is a connosieur of sound. :lol:

Could you imagine if F1 went diesel, it would lose half its following over night. the sound is half the attraction,

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
I remember seeing Monza WTCC footage and the TDi's whizzing by. It's a sort of weird sound, not one I will manage to get to like easily.

Mind you I'm all for it in the BTCC, Seat would be standing still keeping the petrol unit IMO!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i'll take the sound of an air horn and the wave of a flag on a SEAT 1-2 personally.

BUT the best sound of all is,tom chilton and matt neal bumping their gums about not being in the top 3,and the reason for it,hopefully for being nerfed by darren turner on his way from 10th to 2nd/1st.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
i'll take the sound of an air horn and the wave of a flag on a SEAT 1-2 personally.

BUT the best sound of all is,tom chilton and matt neal bumping their gums about not being in the top 3,and the reason for it,hopefully for being nerfed by darren turner on his way from 10th to 2nd/1st.

:clap::lol:

Or the sound of gravel knowing that Mat Neal has been knocked into it.

But we are digressing from the rather important subject...as hillariously funny as all these digs at our rivals are.

The TDi whilst I totaly believe from every is a rather quiet engine really is all about an increase in performance....a totally fair increase in performance. And if when I go to the official FiA WTCC website and download highlights of any of the races Yvan and Gabriele raced in their TDi Leons and see that they both perform exceptionally well, then I think it altleast in some small part galvanises my view that any driver for a SEAT team would rather trade noise for performance if it gets their Leon consistently in the top 4.

I was thinking. How probable is it that the SCC could go all TDi?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Some press shots from the show now in the Gallery.

main.php

MORE HERE >>CLICKY<<

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
One advantage to diesel is the far better looking front end. Sort of Cupra style, with the added vent on the bonnet (i assume this is to allow air to pass through and intercooler and out freely).

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
One advantage to diesel is the far better looking front end. Sort of Cupra style, with the added vent on the bonnet (i assume this is to allow air to pass through and intercooler and out freely).

Correct for the Intercooler.

They did actually change the design on the WTCC petrols too, so they looked more like the FR and Cupra road models. However SEAT UK didn't bother making the change on their cars until now.