Self-Servicing - Oil Change

May 16, 2021
Evening all, I've owned my 2019 Cupra 290 for about 10 months now, and it's just passed it's first MOT with no issues.

The car reckons it's due a Oil Change Service in about 60 days, and an inspection service in about 420 days.

Are either of these reasonable to self service, and if so, if there somewhere I can find what needs doing? Seems that it's a digital service history so I wouldn't be able to update it, but it's not of huge concern to me.

The second question I suppose is if it has to be done by a garage, is any independant garage able to do it and update it, or am I locked into SEAT?

Cheers
Luke

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
Hi Luke, the oil and filter change should be straight forward enough, I'm not sure what an inspection service involves, probably just another oil change but they do a multi point inspection I would guess.
Most service items are possible to do DIY with the right tools.

Bare in mind that the lack of service history may affect the value of your car come sale time.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There still probably is access to the complete workshop manual somewhere on this forum, probably under resources or similar.

DIY servicing, as said it will depend on how long you intend to keep this car, I do all the servicing and repair work on our cars as I tend to keep them for over 10 years.
My older daughter took out a 3 year service plan with her SEAT dealership when she bought her Cupra in 2019, she fell into one of that dealership's website traps last year as when booking it in for "year 2 " service and probably inspection, the website directed her to an outlet closer to her home address - and that was just an "all brands car supermarket site workshop" - typical Arnold Clarke, the car details inputted must have made it clear that it was still under warranty, so that car has lost its continuous main dealership servicing history!!! Complete idiots, I would have thought they or her car mad partner would have stopped that happening!

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
The inspection is just that - no oil change. You can, I think (others will know better) reset it via the MMI. And if you can't - no, ypu're not locked into SEAT, any VAG specilaist indie (and probably quite a lot of other non-VAG indies) will have the toold to reset it. Oil change is simple and straightforward.

As to service history - these days they're all on-line for VAG, no service booklets, so keep any receipts.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Evening all, I've owned my 2019 Cupra 290 for about 10 months now, and it's just passed it's first MOT with no issues.

The car reckons it's due a Oil Change Service in about 60 days, and an inspection service in about 420 days.

Are either of these reasonable to self service, and if so, if there somewhere I can find what needs doing? Seems that it's a digital service history so I wouldn't be able to update it, but it's not of huge concern to me.

The second question I suppose is if it has to be done by a garage, is any independant garage able to do it and update it, or am I locked into SEAT?

Cheers
Luke
It's your car - so you can do what you want to it - nothing 'has' to be done by a seat!
Having said that for me if it was inside the manufactures warranty period I would let Seat service it. If it's outside I do it myself - keeping all receipts/photos etc.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Workshop manuals are here - look at the one named ‘maintenance’ for the servicing schedule tables. The tasks required will depend on time and/or distance travelled, plus what engine, gearbox, options etc are fitted to the vehicle.

As per the advice above; car prices are very inflated at the moment and if you’ve only recently bought you stand to lose a fair chunk of the car’s value if you choose/forced to sale at short notice - the majority of Cupra owners know what they are looking for, and may choose to avoid one without dealer or independent history.

Reactions: biminibob
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members