Should I get a pod point or stick with 3 pin for my hybrid?

Crazyfists

Feb 12, 2018
Should be taking delivery next week of my V2 hybrid 204

When it comes to charging and the cost we cant make our minds up what to do -

1) Is it worth getting a pod point installed - reason I ask is, the max charge the car can take is 3.6kw so getting a higher rate 7kw seems pointless
2) However, if I got a 7kw, im future proofing but......
3) From what I have read, despite the Pod point site saying a Seat Leon hybrid qualifies, it should not as per the gov.uk site saying that you need to have an all electric range of 70+ miles
4) So at £850 it feels like a good year and more before I realise the benefit
5) If I go with the 3 pin only that is supplied, can this be plugged into an outdoor socket, im assuming the cable at the 3 pin end, specifically the box and LEDs next to it is waterproof

Basically, cant decide, so let me know your thoughts, any help/advice much appreciated (nod to jackliebling) for previous replies, much appreciated aswell

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
I've just taken delivery of my Cupra Leon Hybrid yesterday and like you CF I have the same questions and here are my thoughts.

The car came with the 3-pin charger included but no "Type B <> Type B" cable which I may purchase separately at someone point in case we stay overnight at a hotel with EV charging.

I contemplated getting an EV charger fitted at home but for the Leon I don't think it makes financial sense. The '3-Pin' will charge the car from empty to full in 6 hours whereas an EV charger @ 3.6kW will charge it in 4 hours.

As I intend to charge it overnight anyway the two hours difference is no issue for me at all so, for now at least, I can't see any tangible benefit to paying £750+ for an EV charger to save 2 hours in the middle of the night. If I had a Tesla Model 3 and it took 24 hours for a 3-Pin or 8 hours for an EV charger @ 7kW then sure it would be beneficial but that's comparing Apples and Oranges.

In short, for the sake of charging the car 2 hours quicker, I don't think it's worth the financial outlay.

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
I asked the dealer to include both charging cables in the car that I'm collecting on Sunday. They agreed. I thought it was silly having to buy a cable to charge the car.
I read somewhere that the new cars are coming with them as standard but mine is an ex demo.
I looked into the cost of an outside charging point yesterday and it was £749 minus the £350 grant. I already have power outside in my garage and in my utility room which reaches the car so I'm not bothering as it didn't take long to charge the car I recently had.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.