Slight Overrun/Revving On Gear Changes?

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
On 50% of gear changes i get a slight engine overrun. I know its not related to the switch on the clutch pedal as i've had that go before and thats much worse. When the cars cold it dosnt overrun at all and shifting feels very positive, but once warmed up the gear changes seem sloppy. It almost feels like im pressing the clutch pedal really slowly when shifting. Its done it ever since ive had the car but i know its not right and its bugging me now.

So far i've tried a different DV and also a different N75 and tried driving in various different ways to eliminate it, but cant seem to cure it. Any ideas?

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
My car does exactly the same. Has done for ages. I'm told its a throttle body leak? But i've checked all pipework and can't find nothing. So i've put up with it.

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
I've tried 3 different clutch pedal switches, all of which i've taken apart and cleaned the contacts with a pencil rubber. And i've aligned my throttle body plenty of times since i've had the car, so i don't know what it could be.

Do we have a throttle position switch? Maybe thats not cutting fuel fast enough enough when lifting off to shift gear.

My car does exactly the same. Has done for ages. I'm told its a throttle body leak? But i've checked all pipework and can't find nothing. So i've put up with it.

Glad i've found someone else with the problem (unlucky for you though), as sometimes i start thinking i'm imagining it.

Last edited:

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
Just to add, the faster/harder i'm driving, the worse it is. Is it worth me popping the hose off the throttle body and seeing if its sealing properly?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2001
youll need to do a sweep test on throttle potentiometer and is the clearance correct on clutch switch????

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
youll need to do a sweep test on throttle potentiometer and is the clearance correct on clutch switch????

How do i do that then, vag com? Also, how can i find out the correct clearance for the switch, as i had to make a custom bracket to hold that switch as the stock one was rubbish.

Jun 28, 2001
yer vag or dealer equipment .
clearance, your dealer will be able to tell you or someone on here will be able to tell you

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
This problam is quite common mate. I did a search on here a while back, and its been covered quite a bit.

The threads that i read about, 9/10 the over revving was solved by checking/replacing the clutch pedal sensor as most peoples plastic holder clip had broke. But this is not the case with my car.

Do a search on 'holding revs' or 'continued revving during gear cange'.
I'm sure thats what i searched.

Let me know if you do solve it, please!

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
The threads that i read about, 9/10 the over revving was solved by checking/replacing the clutch pedal sensor as most peoples plastic holder clip had broke. But this is not the case with my car.
!

I made a metal bracket and fastened the switch to it with a jubilee clip and also tried 3 different switches so i don't think the switch is at fault this time.

f0vh4i.jpg

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
I still have no clue mate, i tried a clutch switch that i know works and mounted it in the correct position as i measured in a mates Ibiza. But that had no effect. Infact, my car drives just the same with it unplugged completely :shrug:

So i guess i can rule that out as having anything to do with it. Other than that, no clue :(

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
So annoying ent it.

My engine management light sometimes comes on, im sure its related to the over revving thing.

I've tried plugging Vag-Com in, but it don't interface with my car...another isuse!!

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
So annoying ent it.

My engine management light sometimes comes on, im sure its related to the over revving thing.

I've tried plugging Vag-Com in, but it don't interface with my car...another isuse!!

Yeah its crap really, mines very intermittent too. Mine has never thrown a light though. I'm tempted to take mine somewhere to get it looked at but sometimes its so minor that i'm not sure anyone else will notice it.

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
I'm now thinking maybe its throttle body related, ie not closing quick enough when letting off throttle? Could the throttle body plenum have become stiff maybe? Or maybe the motor powering it is slower than it should be?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise