Slipping belt?

eMATTer

Has anybody experienced a slipping belt on a Cupra? Mine is 1 year old with 12500 miles & has just started doing it. It seems to be the alternator belt, although it's more of a swishing sound than the typical squeal. It's worse at start up but still does it even after a 50min drive to work - allbeit more quietly.

I've booked it into the dealers but they say that if it needs replacing or adjusting then it's not covered by warranty because it's a wearable item.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Thought they were auto adjusting on a cam type cog? its spring loaded and puts positive tension on the belt at all times.
shouldnt need replacing speaking off the top off my head so dont qoute me but i think the mk1 was recomended to be changed at 60k miles so would have thought the mk2 was similar.

1 thing i have noticed on mine is where the 2 joins meet the join looks frayed but my dealer said it was fine when it had its 10k service last month.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I'd be suggesting to them after 12,500 miles its certianly their problem to sort and not yours .... speak to seat customer services if you need to 0500 22 22 22

caveo

It may just be wet , before you put her to bed leave it running and spray it with WD40 , this should dry it up ( after a good run )

eMATTer

Ta for the suggestions.

It does look like it's auto adjusting actually, good point.

It gets a 50min to run each way to work & still does it once warm so pretty sure it's not wet. It started doing it during a cold spell too, when it hadn't rained for a while.

I've got it booked in at the dealers for 5th Jan (they couldn't do it before!) If they charge me I will ring customer services & take it up with them.

eMATTer

It turned out to be the timing belt. The dealer took it off and lubricated the pulleys which cured it. It was covered by warranty because it is a sealed unit not due be changed until 60k. If it comes back they will replace the belt and pulleys/idlers.
:)

eMATTer

Started doing it 5 again days later!

New timing belt kit fitted now and it's been fine since.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.