Slow speed fan problem - Guide to fixing

Born2bwild

Sep 20, 2014
Guys,

Will the following resistors be suitable (UK RS online: Part number 720-5378)

I followed the original link to Farnell but they're out of stock till late August...

Help much appreciated, cheers

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Yes. From the picture and specs in the RS catalog, they are exactly the same component. When I checked they only had 3 left in stock....

Last edited:

Born2bwild

Sep 20, 2014
I came to the same conclusion myself having compared the specs. In fact I took the ‘chance’ and ordered them soon after I posted on here. Fairly confident they both do the same job. If there’s only 3 then there must have been at least 5 when I ordered...

A word to anyone else who might need this thread in the near future, Farnell’s were spot on, next day delivery, 1st class service etc the reason I ordered from RS wasn’t because they were cheaper it was because they had them in stock. Although you can pay and order online from Farnell’s, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have them in stock, so double check 1st (like I didn’t).

Once I’ve had time to do the work I’ll report back for any others coming across this thread...

Muttley, should have guessed you’d be the one to get back to me! Bit of a noob on here and haven’t made many posts etc but I have spent a lot of time gathering valuable insights by reading various posts and your name always crops up – cheers fella! Members like yourself is what makes Forums like this :thumbup:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Careful, I'll get a swelled head and then it wouldn't fit through the dog door....

I tend to reply more to electrical queries as I started out as an electronics engineer in the defense industry and can still tell the right end of a soldering iron two times out of three... Progressed through optical design into IT and Project Management and then to sudden but inevitable betrayal, sorry, unemployment (1). Engineering PM for hire now :)

(1) Sudden but inevitable Firefly reference

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
The cheaper way

Just a quick question, I don't really mind the fans running on full constantly as can't really hear them over the radio.

Would it be a bad idea not to use resistors and instead, wire it directly?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Yes, very bad, the fan motors will burn out, they are not designed to be run continuously. And they are *very* noisy at full chat, how loud do you have the radio?

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yes, very bad, the fan motors will burn out, they are not designed to be run continuously. And they are *very* noisy at full chat, how loud do you have the radio?

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm going to order all the stuff tomorrow from Farnell and hopefully have fully working Air Con / Fans by the end of the week.

I've got a problem with the V68 Motor constantly getting stuck on Full Hot too so I've made sure it's at the cold position and disconnected it until I get chance to remove and repair it.

As regards to the radio, I have it loud enough to drown out the road noise from the rear budget tyres

EDIT: All installed and working perfectly. Used an old computer heatsink for the resistors. Thank you tobrien1 & Kambo for the useful guide!

Last edited:

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Where did you guys get your M3 bolts from as I can't find them anywhere, been to B&Q, Wickes, Homebase and Screwfix! Would M3 machine screws to the same job?

Last edited:

azzie1

Dec 9, 2010
Hi guys..
You've probably been through this loads, my car keeps blowing the fuse.
Only one fan was working before it kept popping the fuse
Disconnected the f c u and it doesn't.. take it this is what I need to replace??
As well as the fans ??
Thanks again

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise