SOS and popping sounds

Deleted member 123864

Is there a difference between the Irish and UK mobile system/frequencies? It's the only answer I can think of as I live in a rural area and only hear the popping when I enter urban areas with a 5G signal present.
Can confirm that it also happens in Scotland.

Ireland and the UK both use 700MHz and 3.6GHz for 5G.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Just to add to the confusion, I live in a fairly rural area and we have a 5g mast not too far away. I don't get any speaker pops or SOS notifications at all doing local driving. If I go to the Birmingham area (Cannock) or near Manchester airport I get both problems every single time.

Tell

Staff member
It's the telematics unit. I recall they need to be changed where there is an issue / updated. Effected the whole VAG range but they have weeded the fix into the product range but I guess if it's doing it, it's not been fixed. Either a firmware updated or the telematics unit replaced. The mib3 firmware and the telematics unit have to be on the relevant update for all to be good. Throw this one to @East Yorkshire Retrofits . I recall it was they that said, it's your telematics unit when it came up before. Firmware on these cars is like a pack of cards if all the updates aren't right.

Reactions: oldgitdave

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
It's the telematics unit. I recall they need to be changed where there is an issue / updated. Effected the whole VAG range but they have weeded the fix into the product range but I guess if it's doing it, it's not been fixed. Either a firmware updated or the telematics unit replaced. The mib3 firmware and the telematics unit have to be on the relevant update for all to be good. Throw this one to @East Yorkshire Retrofits . I recall it was they that said, it's your telematics unit when it came up before. Firmware on these cars is like a pack of cards if all the updates aren't right.
That makes sense. Mine didn't do this when the dealer updated it to 1890. They then updated to 1899 and it started doing it again (plus loads of other issues I didn't have on 1890). Now on 1940, everything is great apart from the speaker pops & SOS!

Deleted member 123864

Sure we know what the fix is, that's been known for months. Why does it only happen in the UK though?

Tell

Staff member
Feel free to look through the incident log of the Spanish Club Seat Leon 4 incident log. Chrome and translate toggled. I suspect you'll find it on there somewhere. There is a campaign thread

The moderator on that site is quite hot on things.

If UK cars get more issues than abroad, it will be the dealer network not getting on with these "campaigns". People on long service intervals may miss out.

Needs someone with commitment and the affected cars. I haven't got the car but sniffing around the Club Seat Leon Spanish board may be useful.

Deleted member 123864

Ireland ?. Always a good test.
You missed my post from yesterday then. I am Irish, it has never happened in over 50 thousand kilometres of driving in Ireland. Since I crossed the border into NI yesterday and then across to Scotland it hasn't stopped happening.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Life. You havent' got much 4G in Eire. I know that from my travels it drops off outside towns. Suspect it's the saturation levels play havoc with the telematic boxes. Why people say it's the same stretch of road. They do change those boxes to fix as I recall. I'm waiting for mib5 😂. 2030. Unfortunately with connected cars those that change their car regularly have to put up with these gremlins. The MQB Evo platform hadn't turned out to be the greatest whilst mib3 was a complete re-write in that Automobile Linux standard. Combine the two and treating the car as some updateable device rather than a car with stable software gives the problems. The VAG group did make the chief exec walk the plank. Good trusty dealers that know their stuff of matching firmware releases in component parts of the car has a bearing why some people get issues and others don't. Gone are the days of just mechanics and big ends 😂.

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
You missed my post from yesterday then. I am Irish, it has never happened in over 50 thousand kilometres of driving in Ireland. Since I crossed the border into NI yesterday and then across to Scotland it hasn't stopped happening.
I'm in Ireland, and getting speaker pops & reboots regularly (Laois - Dublin axis & surrounding counties mostly). I visit a place very close to a communications mast regularly, and I get the pop & reboot there almost every time.

Software is 1896, but considering update to 1940.

I've only had one issue with the SOS module - the SOS and other systems (lane-keeping, ACC, multimedia) were offline for a couple of short journeys following an offline map update 2 weeks ago, but when they came back they remained stable.

I eventually pulled out the USB drive as the multimedia system kept freezing during journeys - is this because the system is slow at reading large drives?

I also have persistent dialogs coming up saying something about resetting system settings - I've been dismissing these ('Cancel') because after a previous map update, I got the same dialog and when I selected 'OK' it started to reposition the driver's seat while I was driving! Give me back a manually adjusted seat any time.

EDIT: I tapped 'OK' to the Change System Settings dialog - this time it put the car into Sport mode, but it waited until I was switching the car off to adjust the driver's seat :)

Last edited:

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I've read that SOS & speaker pops need the telematics to be updated or replaced to fix it. Mines on 1940 and I still get them.

Having said that, 1940 has been rock solid for me since the upgrade in early July. It's totally cured the 'changing system settings' pop up.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.