SOS and popping sounds

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
Only had the car since Thursday but some odd things keep happening. In a thirty minute commute it keeps making an odd double popping sounds from the speakers - it must have done it 4 or 5 times on the journey. Also, SOS phone call flashed up on the driver display twice just whilst I was happily driving along. I assume these are software bugs but it is irritating. Any solutions? I was using wireless CarPlay at the time. I tend to never use the in-built SAT NAVs as they are never very good.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Join the club. Some people seem to get it fixed with a software update, others need the SOS module replaced as well. It’s a common fault across Seat/VW/Skoda/Audi….

I have the same thing on mine at the moment (software version 1790). It seems to happen if the esim loses connectivity, and the system doesn’t know how to handle it glitches out.

The best workaround I’ve found on mine is to not use a Seat account on the infotainment system, just use the guest account instead as it defaults to Private mode for connectivity.

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
Join the club. Some people seem to get it fixed with a software update, others need the SOS module replaced as well. It’s a common fault across Seat/VW/Skoda/Audi….

I have the same thing on mine at the moment (software version 1790). It seems to happen if the esim loses connectivity, and the system doesn’t know how to handle it glitches out.

The best workaround I’ve found on mine is to not use a Seat account on the infotainment system, just use the guest account instead as it defaults to Private mode for connectivity.
Ok thanks, I am a bit surprised as VW supposed to have good rep for quality. I look forward to the courtesy phone call asking me how everything is from the dealer.

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
So today the SOS feature failed completely so I’ve called the dealer and it’s going in on Monday.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Some people report if you hit the SOS button on the ceiling, it brings it back to life (just end the call before it connects). Mine always came back if the car was off for a half hour or so.
Still needs fixing but it’ll get you access to more than the AC menus at least.

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
It just gets worse and worse. This evening on the M25 it said the tyre pressure had gone in the rear right tyre. When I got to a garage to check all the tyre pressures were fine. Then the system froze and I couldn’t do anything.
I’ve never known anything like and VW are supposed to have a good rep. It goes back to the garage on Monday.

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
It just gets worse and worse. This evening on the M25 it said the tyre pressure had gone in the rear right tyre. When I got to a garage to check all the tyre pressures were fine. Then the system froze and I couldn’t do anything.
I’ve never known anything like and VW are supposed to have a good rep. It goes back to the garage on Monday.
Unfortunately it’s full of bugs and you need to push to get it all updated. I’ve had the sos update done and on 1896 and it’s loads better then it was but still a bit buggy but got it going in for 1898 or 1899 so hopefully getting there as love the car.

Reactions: Alex667

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Got mine booked in next month to get the SOS module upgraded and software updated. As soon as I mentioned the SOS module, she knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. Also mentioned the display in Carplay doing weird things and getting distorted, again she didn't need to ask more details. Hopefully I'll end up with 1899 and v145 or later on the SOS module... Let's see.

It's a shame the software is so damn buggy cos the rest of the car so far has been great. Really enjoying driving it.

Reactions: Jammers

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
Mine went in this evening. They knew all about it. They are going to try software first and if it doesn’t work a SOS module replacement.

Reactions: Alex667
Jan 18, 2023
Hi all, I'm in almost the exact same position as Jammers. Took delivery of my car Friday and have noticed the loud pops, otherwise the car is great.

After lurking on here it looks like it could be related to my software only being version 1672, so I've just booked in with my local dealer (can't get in for over a month 🙄) who stated that it may cost £150 in diagnostic fees if they find that the work isn't covered under warranty.

My question is, are these dealership only software updates to 189X covered by the warranty? The woman on the phone wasn't a technician so couldn't confirm either way. Thanks.

For info, it's an FR, first registered July 2020.

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
Hi all, I'm in almost the exact same position as Jammers. Took delivery of my car Friday and have noticed the loud pops, otherwise the car is great.

After lurking on here it looks like it could be related to my software only being version 1672, so I've just booked in with my local dealer (can't get in for over a month 🙄) who stated that it may cost £150 in diagnostic fees if they find that the work isn't covered under warranty.

My question is, are these dealership only software updates to 189X covered by the warranty? The woman on the phone wasn't a technician so couldn't confirm either way. Thanks.

I think mine is on 1896 and it still doesn’t work properly. They have said they will update to 1899 first to see if it makes a difference.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom

From what I've seen online about this, the earlier Mk4 Leons are even more prone to this happening as they have a different SOS module in them. If your infotainment version is that old, you I'll bet the firmware on the SOS module is way behind as well.

The upgrades should be covered if it fixes a specific issue you're having - just mention you have the SOS error, and that you also have xyz issues with the infotainment as well (problems with Carplay, freezes etc). It should all be covered as part of the same job then.

They definitely shouldn't be charging a fee for something that's as well known as this issue...

Reactions: BarryC

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
So it's been updated to the latest software and the manager has driven it home tonight to see if it still does it. We will see.

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
Picked up the car today - assured it was fixed via a software fix.

I drive it for four minutes before it happened again. It goes back next week.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Mine still has the loud pops but no errors on the SOS, with the 1898 software. It only happens when you enter or leave a 5G signal area, so where I live not too bad a problem, but gets annoying if you are around the edge of an urban area.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise