Space saver and/or tyre repair kit question - Ibiza FR 22

Dad

Mar 19, 2023
4768FA64-6246-41B3-8A31-8B6B46F077E2.jpeg

I’ve recently bought a 22 plate Ibiza FRS privately and I was looking to see if it has a physical spare wheel or tyre repair kit. Under the carpet I can find neither! Just wondering if the above photo indicates that the car used to have a space saver wheel?

Also a daft question but does a space saver need to be model specific or Will any VAG space saver fit (presumably needs to be 18”).

Thanks

l

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd kind of question the legality of selling a newish car without either a repair kit or a spare wheel and tools, even in a private sale - though it might require digging deep to prove either way.
I don't have one of these cars, but what you have looks an awful like tools insert that used to have a spare wheel fitted below it.
The normal plan is to have a spare wheel that has the same rolling radius as the car's other wheels, either if it is true skinny space saver or a steel wheel with a suitable tyre, either way your speed is limited to a low speed when having "another" wheel on unless it is exactly the same as what is on the other wheels.

Edit:- one other thing, do you have the security bolt adaptor that should be located in the empty recess in the expanded foam insert?

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
The tyre pressure sticker in the passenger door jamb shows the size for the space saver.

Mine shows T125/60 R18

If you search on eBay there are used ones for £70-80 approx. Leon ones also fit and other VAG ones 5x100.

Just make sure you have the big plastic bolt that fixes it to the boot floor, you don't want the spare moving about in an emergency stop.

Reactions: Dad

Dad

Mar 19, 2023
Thanks both. My sticker says the same.. thanks.

RUM4MO.. do you mean the alloy wheel locking nut adapter? If so yes I have that.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks both. My sticker says the same.. thanks.

RUM4MO.. do you mean the alloy wheel locking nut adapter? If so yes I have that.
Yes the security bolt adaptor, good! That empty hole in that insert is where the security bolt adaptor should get stored as it is where breakdown services expect to find it when rendering assistance - unless you have bought an orange dayglo pouch to store it in and it is located in an "obvious" place.

Edit:- remember, or be aware that while that tyre size is typical for any/all VW Group cars, the wheel it is fitted to will vary according to which car it is meant to used with, ET or offset will/could be important. The alternative as I hinted at, is to buy a suitable/compatible steel wheel with normal tyre s that will or can be used for longer periods than a bespoke skinny tyre that has only 2.0mm tread depth when new.

Aug 14, 2023
Figured I'd bump this rather than start another thread. I just got a 2016 Ibiza FR and the same empty wheel well.
Not even sure if I have 17" or 18" wheels but that's easy to check.
My question is : is the well big enough for a full size spare? It certainly looks deep enough.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.