Space saver spare wheel size?

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
I currently have an 18inch Space saver spare wheel for my Leon MK3. I am wondering if anyone knows if this will fit the new ateca xperience lux which has 19inch wheels as standard? I've had a look online and the largest space saver is the 18inch but I dont know if there is a difference between the leon/ateca varient incase of weight difference in the jack or something? Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
You should find it will. Mines has 19" wheels with the 18" space saver. That was a factory fit. Dealers went on to sell Leon kits for the Ateca in that size and people bought them off the net as well when dealers said they couldn't fit the original. The tyre was the same just the way the tools, jack and Leon surround are packaged to the fitted Ateca which has a moulding surround with cubby holes to take the parts.

People just put the Leon trye under the floor. Not as pretty as the factory fitted Ateca one but you never look under there. At one stage, may still be the case the Ateca moulding wasn't sold so dealers that got hold of the wrong car for s customer had to supply the Leon one. Just the finer points ;).

Should not think there is anything special with the 2020 in this regard.

The build code for mine were

PG6 VWGROUP 18-inch spare wheel as temporary-use spare tire, tool kit, jack

+

1G9 VWGROUP RER Space-saving spare wheel for temporary use, radial tire (5-hole)

Last edited:
Reactions: iScoTT29

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
You should find it will. Mines has 19" wheels with the 18" space saver. That was a factory fit. Dealers went on to sell Leon kits for the Ateca in that size and people bought them off the net as well when dealers said they couldn't fit the original. The tyre was the same just the way the tools, jack and Leon surround are packaged to the fitted Ateca which has a moulding surround with cubby holes to take the parts.

People just put the Leon trye under the floor. Not as pretty as the factory fitted Ateca one but you never look under there. At one stage, may still be the case the Ateca moulding wasn't sold so dealers that got hold of the wrong car for s customer had to supply the Leon one. Just the finer points ;).

Should not think there is anything special with the 2020 in this regard.

The build code for mine were

PG6 VWGROUP 18-inch spare wheel as temporary-use spare tire, tool kit, jack

+

1G9 VWGROUP RER Space-saving spare wheel for temporary use, radial tire (5-hole)
Thanks for the info. I'm definetely taking my spare wheel kit out the leon before trade in, they arent getting that they can get their foam back. I'll try and see if the leon surround will fit in the ateca, if not I'll manufacture something to fit :happy:

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I'm definetely taking my spare wheel kit out the leon before trade in, they arent getting that they can get their foam back. I'll try and see if the leon surround will fit in the ateca, if not I'll manufacture something to fit :happy:

I think you will find it goes down OK it's only if you know what it should look like you might be disappointed.

Slightly amusing picture of where a dealer mixed the Ateca housing with the Leon. Left is the Ateca, right the Leon. Dealership went bust, the re-order never went through correctly, so the dealer used the left hand side of the Ateca with the right hand side of the Leon. Why bother ?. If they had the right hand side of the Ateca they could have loaded the parts in it. Think this was a dealer / MK trying to make good and made it worse ?.

But no you are fine with the Leon bits since you never look under there.

PS my dealer I reckon closed the rear hatch on the vacuum cleaner pipe during the MOT bits of plastic gathered in the lock area. Was down looking in the lower layer for broken damage just in case they had hit the subwoofer, found nothing. Reckon they triggered the tailgate to close on their own pipe :oops:.

Attachments

• 20201025_195300.png
    20201025_195300.png
    629.9 KB · Views: 1,369
Reactions: iScoTT29

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
I think you will find it goes down OK it's only if you know what it should look like you might be disappointed.

Slightly amusing picture of where a dealer mixed the Ateca housing with the Leon. Left is the Ateca, right the Leon. Dealership went bust, the re-order never went through correctly, so the dealer used the left hand side of the Ateca with the right hand side of the Leon. Why bother ?. If they had the right hand side of the Ateca they could have loaded the parts in it. Think this was a dealer / MK trying to make good and made it worse ?.

But no you are fine with the Leon bits since you never look under there.

PS my dealer I reckon closed the rear hatch on the vacuum cleaner pipe during the MOT bits of plastic gathered in the lock area. Was down looking in the lower layer for broken damage just in case they had hit the subwoofer, found nothing. Reckon they triggered the tailgate to close on their own pipe :oops:.
Yeah that one on the right is whats currently in my leon. Youre right, never look under there so as long as it doesnt slide around I'll be happy :happy:

Sooty_Torques

Oct 26, 2020
Interesting thread - thanks. Currently in "negotiations" with 3 local SEAT dealers about prices for space saver kit for my Ateca. Best offer I've had is cost price + 10%? Being told list is £350.... claiming that's because it's a 4Drive? :unsure: There are lots of aftermarket space-saver wheels online for anything from £100 up - these look good value at £150 but of course no polystyrene mouldings (not that that bothers me...): Space Saver

Tell

Staff member
The £350 may or may not be with the moulding. At launch back in 2016 there was no way of buying them with the Ateca moulding post. Most people who wanted a spare wheel to fit a car supplied without a spare bought the Leon one which you see with either the tools in a bag or with the "unique" Leon moulding. I've seen pictures of that stuffed down the hole as well.

The 4 drive has the higher floor reducing the depth between the top level plane and the next plane down. Possibly the moulding may be designed for that. The moulding would sit lower in a non 4 drive. Moulding takes up space. You can stuff a few extra things down there but more if you didn't have the moulding. Had to stop carrying a lot about with me when I moved from an Altea to an Ateca 4drive since I lost underfloor space by the 4drive and moulding. Use a velcrose tidy you see sold in Aldi to store remaining nick snacks, water bottles / sprays on the right recess, electric pump in the left recess.

If you have a modern triangle there are straps for it on the right under side of the parcel shelf support (one for that Easter egg question and the handy face mask hooks behind the front passengers seats ?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sooty_Torques

Sooty_Torques

Oct 26, 2020
Thanks for that! :) I used to drive a 2008 Mr T RAV4 which had shed loads of room under the boot floor & for my last Mazda CX-5, I bought a 2nd hand & unused as-new spare + styrene kit; & also squeezed (far too much) stuff under & around the spare... ;) Already got 1 triangle strapped up...
Waiting to hear back from the dealer with final price & to see what's included moulding-wise. If it is just the wheel, I'll go for the non-SEAT cheaper option.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise