Spare Key needed

Apr 12, 2022
I have recently bought a used MkIII Leon ST (1.5 FR Evo 150) and am very happy but it only came with one key. I knew it wouldn't be cheap to get a spare but have just been quoted £400 for the key and the coding by our local SEAT dealer in Poole! Ouch!!

Any ideas? Is this normal? Have I got any other choice? The local auto locksmiths all day they can't program them as it's too new..

Cheers

P.s. this was meant to be my first post, but put this same question in the wrong place before, my apologies.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
It can be done:

What are the dealer charging for? Two keys? Blades and lock barrel replacement? An ECU/immobiliser reprogram? Also ask how much labour is being charged?

Is there any risk that a previous owner has the other key and may return to steal the car?

MQB keys are c.£120-140 online.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Mrbob - did you buy your car from a dealer? If so, then I’d expect them to bear the cost of the replacement key+coding.

@black_sheep; that was my first thought - i.e. if the previous owner still has the spare key and the chance of them stealing the car.

Apr 12, 2022
It can be done:

What are the dealer charging for? Two keys? Blades and lock barrel replacement? An ECU/immobiliser reprogram? Also ask how much labour is being charged?

Is there any risk that a previous owner has the other key and may return to steal the car?

MQB keys are c.£120-140 online.
That price was just for a key (£310 ) and an hour of labor (£90). I expected to be paying a few hundred but not 4!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I need a second key as well, probably should get it sorted - before needing it ;) like my spare tyre I sorted AFTER having a blow out!!
I have a feeling some cars were only ever supplied with 1x key?

My Leon key part number = 5F0959752F (without keyless entry)
PRCode: 5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz

Quick google found this for £120. Never used them so can't comment on how good the service is. Just FYI;
"Price including complete remote key, blade cut and programming to your car in our workshop"

Apr 12, 2022
I need a second key as well, probably should get it sorted - before needing it ;) like my spare tyre I sorted AFTER having a blow out!!
I have a feeling some cars were only ever supplied with 1x key?

My Leon key part number = 5F0959752F (without keyless entry)
PRCode: 5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz

Quick google found this for £120. Never used them so can't comment on how good the service is. Just FYI;
"Price including complete remote key, blade cut and programming to your car in our workshop"
It's a few hours drive from me but almost feels worth it out of principle to not pay the dealers prices!

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I worked at Kia, keys(fob and blade) were £350+-model dependent and 1/2 hour labour to recode old key and new key to car, once a new key is supplied car coding is different and old keys will no longer work, have you contacted previous owner tyo see if they still have it, might send it to you?
I would have asked for car be supplied with two cars at time of sale, might have worked.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I won't buy a modern used car with only one key. I would insist the dealer supplied a second key, and demonstrated that both keys were fully functioning before I accepted the car. If they refused I won't buy the car.
Doesn't Seat's used car scheme state that 2 keys will be provided?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members