Spare wheel Help for Leon and Arona

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
My FIL had a puncture in his Arona last week after some random nice chap :mad: had left a vaping cannister in the road and it when straight through his tyre leaving a 3cm ish wide tear in the tread and was rattling around inside. And after myself getting a puncture last year in my leon which the useless sealant wouldn't do anything with we both need a space saver.

This is where i'm getting hung up, apparently both the Arona 1.0 tsi 95hp and my Leon a 1.8 tsi FR can use the 125/70 R18 wheel just with the different PCD of course but the FIL's car specifies the 18" wheel on the sticker only (no gubbins in the boot other than the polystyrene holder) and my Leon apparently is supposed to have either the 16" or 18" wheel. Given the bigger brakes of the 1.8 FR am i right in assuming going for the 18" is the correct course of action?

Anyone know a good place in N.I to get one too?

Many thanks guys

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would think, a better plan, at least for the Arona would be to get a suitable spare wheel that was not a skinny space saver, ie something that is offered as an alternative like a steel spare wheel of "right" size - which will also end up being called a space saver, but will have normal tread depth so could survive enough miles to get you to somewhere that could sort out the punctured road wheel/tyre, and still have lots of life left in it for future "spare wheel" usage. My London based daughter has a 1.0TSI 115PS 2019 Arona and I'm trying to get her to sort this issue out BEFORE they have a puncture.

Be influenced by the size, ie diameter of the wheels currently on the car when making a decision on which wheel to get for both cars, SEAT will have decided which size of steel wheel that they can supply for countries that demand a useable spare wheel and not just a skinny shallow tread narrow one, I'd think.

Reactions: Andy ap

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I'm personally just using a full size wheel as spare in my Leon ST - after I also had a blow out/hole so was stranded with that basically useless inflation kit!
I'm actually using one of my old Audi A4 B6 winter tyres - same size as the Leon!
I did look for some space savers but found I could get a full size wheel cheaper! Full size wheel fits in the Leon - don't know about the Arona?

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
I'm personally just using a full size wheel as spare in my Leon ST - after I also had a blow out/hole so was stranded with that basically useless inflation kit!
I'm actually using one of my old Audi A4 B6 winter tyres - same size as the Leon!
I did look for some space savers but found I could get a full size wheel cheaper! Full size wheel fits in the Leon - don't know about the Arona?
I could source a full size Steelie for the arona as that's got a full depth wheel well but the Leon doesn't. Has to be a space saver. A little odd but I guess it's because of the different suspension on the 1.8.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I built up the level of the boot floor with foam blocks, and bought a matching alloy with a full size tyre on my Leon. £70 for an unblemished rim with a brand new tyre. Took a bit of work finishing the foam blocks off with a nice carpet trim, but it was certainly worth it. Yes I've lost a couple of inches height in the boot, but thats a small price to pay for not having a stupidly sized 125 space saver,
My Toledo also has a space saver, nut at least that is a "decent" size, being a 185 as opposed to the 215s on the car. For what that car does I can live with that one

Attachments

• 20200108_225430.jpg
    20200108_225430.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
I built up the level of the boot floor with foam blocks, and bought a matching alloy with a full size tyre on my Leon. £70 for an unblemished rim with a brand new tyre. Took a bit of work finishing the foam blocks off with a nice carpet trim, but it was certainly worth it. Yes I've lost a couple of inches height in the boot, but thats a small price to pay for not having a stupidly sized 125 space saver,
My Toledo also has a space saver, nut at least that is a "decent" size, bering a 185 as opposed to the 215s on the car. For what that car doesm I can live with that one
What a good idea! I'm in two minds about bringing a full size wheel with me due to the extra weight but I've been thinking of buying some nicer wheels anyway so maybe could do something like this with the original wheel.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
What a good idea! I'm in two minds about bringing a full size wheel with me due to the extra weight but I've been thinking of buying some nicer wheels anyway so maybe could do something like this with the original wheel.
I got the blocks as free offcuts from a local caravan upholsterer. Carpet was just a metre square auto carpet from ebay, think that was about £8. I used an aerosol spray adhesive to wrap the foam blocks so they didn't look too much out of place, works a treat!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I bought a set of steel wheels fitted with winter tyres from Mytyres back in 2008 maybe, they were quite easy to deal with, I've also organised a set of all season tyres for my older daughter's 2009 Ibiza SC and again winter alloys fitted with winter tyres for that same daughter's 2019 Leon Cupra, everything worked out okay.

Also, a car breaker should have stocks of most popular wheels, knowing the VW Group's part number for the required steel wheels would be the first thing that I would be seeking out.

Buying in a single steel wheel fitted with a tyre from Mytyres based in Germany would attract some significant carriage costs though.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The steel space savers are not much lighter than a full size alloy - so personally I wouldn't worry about a couple of kilos.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise