Sparkie's Mk1 LCR Black Edition

bega

Oct 13, 2016
Plastidip - would this have issues with stone chips? I know normal paint can get chipped however I'm sure it is stronger than plastidip??

I plastidipped some motorcycle fairings a while back and they were allways getting stonechipped

Usually if plastidip get chipped,I spray plastidip on some paper and using toothpick or something like that,put plastidip easily on damaged part. It's really hard to notice,only you can see it if you look from short distance(10-20 cm).

Last edited:

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
To be fair it is quite resilient. Yes it will chip but as it has a rubbery texture it's not too bad. Also they sell a dip protector which you wipe on.
Aparently reduced chips and assault by road grime etc. Who knows how good it is.
The only bits which will remain plasti dipped or will be in the future are my rear badge, wing mirrors and splitter I'm doing in gloss black as they do a gloss coat.
I hope glossy wing mirrors and splitter will come out looking good and different. I'll post up the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. I only ask as I recently painted my badges front and back gloss black. And already there are stonechips! I may try plastidip next time...

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Awesome. I only ask as I recently painted my badges front and back gloss black. And already there are stonechips! I may try plastidip next time...

It's fast. Can be done without close masking up. Finished in an hr.
Also as above
For a proper repair,
to repair cuts and tears. Best way.
Get proper mechanics throw away gloves. Test that thinners doesn't melt them. Then dab onto finger. Dab on to plasti dip. Keep dabbing more on until it becomes liquified again and very carefully smooth it out adding more thinners so the glove doesn't grip it. If you get me.
Once in a liquified state it will blend in to the cut or tear. Then once it is smoothed out. Reapply another coat or two of the plasti dip to the whole piece. Job done. You shouldn't see any cut and the blemish should have gone.
Thinners is what you can dilute plasti dip with so it makes sense that it will dissolve small areas and self flatten to a degree.
Good luck with the badges.

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
It's fast. Can be done without close masking up. Finished in an hr.
Also as above
For a proper repair,
to repair cuts and tears. Best way.
Get proper mechanics throw away gloves. Test that thinners doesn't melt them. Then dab onto finger. Dab on to plasti dip. Keep dabbing more on until it becomes liquified again and very carefully smooth it out adding more thinners so the glove doesn't grip it. If you get me.
Once in a liquified state it will blend in to the cut or tear. Then once it is smoothed out. Reapply another coat or two of the plasti dip to the whole piece. Job done. You shouldn't see any cut and the blemish should have gone.
Thinners is what you can dilute plasti dip with so it makes sense that it will dissolve small areas and self flatten to a degree.
Good luck with the badges.

Thanks bud will give this a go

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Tires arrived today.
0a2d13b09791918d465008baee8be395.jpg

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
The new Goodrich braided brake lines have finally turned up with banjo fittings.
Brilliant.
The retard from DT that took the order could have said they also require a bolt which they have in stock for a quid but no.
Now another 24 hrs and a fiver postage to get it in a day.
Ludicrous.
Still car back for the weekend. Yippy.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So brakes done. Finally.
Needed extra brake fluid as it had a bubble in the master cylinder.
2f8d94c8e909bf5a4c4b3c82e3521e46.jpg
9a9b5d9bb17d64a6a465e67269a8f94a.jpg

Car now looking better.
Also picked up my new centre caps for the wheels.
701c2a0a165f1790fe7aad65324ed762.jpg

Now just waiting on one cover for the alternator pulley. Which sits inside the front off side wheel arch.
It's amazing what people have removed or mechanics have bust clips etc and not put parts back on.
Parts of front under tray either missing or held on with zip ties!!

While I await it's return, here's a picture to tease myself with.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So I should pick up the car tomorrow for the weekend.
Can't wait. Air con may still be an issue but temperatures are perfect for an open window and happy turbo.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So now the car is working well.
Found out it was lowered by one of the previous owners. Result.
Brakes all done.
Custom pipes doing my turbo back exhaust next week.
Can't wait. Then off to AMD for a map.
883ab74464c88cf7d68581f9e84575fe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Update,
Just back from Doncaster seeing Ryan at Custom Pipes.
They've done another excellent job.
Can't fault their work.
Now sporting a over 3"down pipe. 200 cell sports cat, 3" through to reduced 2.5" at rear to clear axle etc.
Mandrel bends throughout and welded internally and externally for added strength.
0475db6a16be295d63eeb1e1ebc2e3ac.jpg

21b43940641d25851855521d6959be2e.jpg
1def2b66b3dfd6ae70ab392a8fe2a9e2.jpg
b1350e248d9222b4a716960d8977113d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sjt301084

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Right I thought it was time to update this.
New Tyres
Very grippy in the dry and surprisingly grippy in the wet. Really pleased. There is no comparison with the budget stuff that was on there. Chalk and cheese.
Induction kit has made the engine rev smoother. It sounds great too.
The brakes are nice and precise. Not wooden at all. There's no squeal from the pads and no judder from the grooves in the discs. Plus they look reem in my opinion.
Custom exhaust looks and sounds great. Quite low key until you tap the Go pedal.
Only downside is the turbo is on the way out. There is play in it which Ryan found when doing the exhaust.
Also something has defo hit the blades at the front which my mechanic wasn't happy about.
Probably sucked in a tiny bit of crap, as we found a huge split in the TIP when it was changed over for the Badger5 one.
Going to change the turbo as I don't want it letting go and spitting metal bits into my engine.
The map will have to wait a month while it's sorted out.

Lastly bought some black wheel bolts and a liquid gauge from Race Diagnostics.
Going to plug it in temporarily and do some logs then do a few on a mates Bmer before final fitting into the LCR. Got to say it looks the biz.
It will be interesting to see if my Bhp and torque figures have raised after fitting the tip and induction kit.
I'll post up some results soon.

An up to date pic too.
0c9fbd67641df7042bb39d3659aef7a5.jpg
6729a99500b6365f1954e5852bb46de3.jpg

Last edited:

bega

Oct 13, 2016
Keep up good work.I have Seat Toledo 2001 and still loving design of the car.Yours Leon is perfect for me :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Keep up good work.I have Seat Toledo 2001 and still loving design of the car.Yours Leon is perfect for me :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Nice of you to say so. Cheers. It's getting there. Satin black wing mirrors and splitter next.

Sent using The Force

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Update,
So I bought a Forge Split R diverter/dump valve, second hand from someone on SCN and fitted it in 5 mins.
Lovely additional noises to go with the induction kit.
Possibly a little improvement in throttle response as well.
The sound is not over welming either and you need the windows up to hear it most of the time. ( non res exhaust drowns it out with windows down )
Talking exhaust, it sounds Stella.
Quite stealthy when under 3500 revs. Any higher and it comes to life.
Going on holls soon and the car is off to have its turbo replaced.
After that's all done it's a custom map. Possibly with a FMIC too. Can't decide.
aadfd7b2d81d9d0184065bc12387ad7d.jpg

Sent from me!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.