squealing brakes sub 8

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
Hi

has anyone else got low speed ( under 10 mph) squeal on cupra with sub 8 brembos

sounds just like old bus :(

tried hard braking, washing ,cleaning etc but no difference

brakes are ferocious at any speed :-o , just wish squealing would stop

2016 car with just over 3000 on clock

everything else with car is great really enjoying it :p

Ade70

Oct 19, 2015
Yep, same.

From what I've read it's due to the fact that they are high performance brakes, they aren't designed to work optimally in the cold.

Mine tends to improve after they have been used for a while and warmed up.

Be interesting to see what they are like when winter is over.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Sports brakes tend to squeal at low speeds , I think it's just a characteristic. I want to get the brembos upgrade on mine as I hear they take a lot of hammering before fade kicks in. Haven't really had chance to find out about the standard brakes ........yet

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
Hi performance or whatever , I can not believe that an irritating squeal is normal .

surely a manufacturer as highly regarded as brembo could sort out squealing brakes

ref my original post - it is now a long time since I heard a BUS with squealing brakes

anyway today I jetwashed the b*ll*cks off the front discs & pads & calipers

result - squeal gone (for now)

had car from new (84 miles) and only had squealing problem since about 2000 miles

is it to do with what others have posted about the holes in the discs becoming full of crap

as other postings ?

close up jetwashing today cleared these as far as I could see

still loving the lunacy of the 280

inbetweener

Jan 19, 2016
All brakes on all cars squeal these days. Some are worse than others, high performance harder pads are sometimes worse. It's winter, we have no asbestos in breaks anymore, **** happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
jet washing the hell out of the discs probably does more harm than good there just going to rust more I run ebc red/yellow pads and don't have any issue with squealing pads although the reds are wooden as hell when cold.

me personally I would just do a quick calliper service on each side check for glazing on the pad there isn't normally a lot you can do when they start squealing but a good calliper service and roughing up the friction material cant hurt.

Stubzie83

May 8, 2016
Redhill, Surrey
Might be the shims or lack of them. I had Brembos on my last car and the shims were only supplied stuck onto the back of the pads if you bought official ones from the manufacturer. I bought Brembo pads directly from Brembo (1/3 price that ofificial ones are) but as these are generic for several different models they don't have the shims on them.

When I replaced them they would squeal a lot a low speeds due to the lack of shims especially when just pulling up in stop/start traffic. Maybe the Cupra ones don't come with shims as this would explain the noise. Most after market pads do have them and most are hard/plastic type material that is bonded to the rear of the pad.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
High performance brakes hmmmm...funny that Lamborghini Huracan brakes do not squal and i'd say they are more high performance than Cupra brakes.

So i would say get your brakes checked, not normal.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
As others have said a proper strip down and clean and lube with copper grease will most likely sort the squealing. A clean with wheel and pads still in situ will not suffice.

Apr 12, 2010
Mine do it, its usually a sign I need to wash the car, once done they squeal goes away. Its probably a lack of copper grease or such like on the pad backs/pins from the factory but I've not bothered to look yet. Incidentally I have P.O.S yellow stuff pads in mine courtesy of the previous owner and I'm not a fan.

Last edited:

Settantasette

Mar 18, 2016
My car with 1900 km has the exact same problem. No difference if it´s clean or not.
Very anoying when you´re stuck in heavy traffic every day and run at very low speed.

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
thanx for all the feedback

now weather has warmed up a bit the squealing seems to have stopped

or is it just some bedding in thing.

as for stripping brakes and messing about like that why on earth should I have

to do that on 6 month old car still under warranty ?

as other have said cleaning seems to stop it for a while

sub 8 is probably over the top for road but I wanted the nice wheels

and factory fitted side skirts.

live and learn......

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
High performance brakes hmmmm...funny that Lamborghini Huracan brakes do not squal and i'd say they are more high performance than Cupra brakes.

So i would say get your brakes checked, not normal.

Because they are carbon ceramic.

My Ferrari F40 brakes squeal as well, its normal and annoying.

Just listen to BTCC,WTCC cars etc they all do it.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Because they are carbon ceramic.

My Ferrari F40 brakes squeal as well, its normal and annoying.

Just listen to BTCC,WTCC cars etc they all do it.

Its not normal.
Cupra is just a road car, not a racing car like BTCC/WTCC car and not even a super car.
OK, Huracan has got a different discs...

None of the AMG cars what i've driven has had a squealing brakes, none of the M3 or M5 what i've driven does squeal, Not a RS3 or RS5 has squealed, Not a single one of the Porsches that i have driven squealed...so no, it is not normal.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Because you have only driven them for a few minutes. it is normal for performance brakes over time to start squealing.

Then you take them off give them a bloody good clean down and some times a skim and they are fine again for a few months.

this issue isn't just a Cupra issue. As said I don't have the Cupra Brembo brakes, I have a completely different set.

Google it, I just did the first few websites that came up are:

Clublexus
Evolution
Alfaowners
camaro owners

Last edited:

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Because you have only driven them for a few minutes. it is normal for performance brakes over time to start squealing.

Then you take them off give them a bloody good clean down and some times a skim and they are fine again for a few months.

this issue isn't just a Cupra issue. As said I don't have the Cupra Brembo brakes, I have a completely different set.

Google it, I just did the first few websites that came up are:

Clublexus
Evolution
Alfaowners
camaro owners

Who said few minutes?
All of the cars has been owned by my family at some point. (Not the POS Beemers though)
But working with Beemers three years and not a single complaint on brake squeal.

So no, its not normal.

Now go and skim your brakes and be happy with them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise