ST Roof bars

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I've bought the Thule 753 footpack and 4015 fitting kit for my Leon ST but discovered they didn't work with my old aero bars and I got a set of almost new slidebars.
The Thule instructions seem very vague and unlike my previous 5dr there is no dimension given for positioning the feet on the roof bar. I'm guessing the instructions are correct but feels odd as the feet slide along the underside of the bar when first installed do the feet clamp up tight to the bar when fitted to the roof rails?
I've used to Thule roof bars on my last 4-5 cars but this is first car with roof rails and it seems very different in comparison.
Thanks for any help.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I use the exact same Thule kit on my ST. When you tighten them up, they do grip the bars. I've had a roof box and bike rack on there up to Scotland and back and left roof bars on for months at a time, it's all quality kit.
If you look in the inside face of the cars roof rails, you will notice 2 dimples at the front and back. I assume these are to locate the genuine Seat roof bars, so I just line the Thule kit up to them.

IMG_20190909_191900.jpg

Reactions: moriarty

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Same roof bars i use on my cupra 300 ST. I tried lining up to those dimples too but meant my roof box didnt sit right.
7f78cc800d642d18578b011d473ffda7.jpg

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know that any bars actually utilize the dimples, I think they are just position markers. I would be inclined to use them as they may represent where the bars are fixed to the roof.

I have a set of Farad bars and they work well. At first, I wasn't very confident about the way the clamps grip on this style of roof rail but I've had three mountain bikes on the roof many times and nothing moves.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I use the dimples to position my roof bars, and when you measure the distance between the centre point of each bar, they are 700mm apart, which is exactly what Thule advise you to set them up to in the instructions.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
sCbTM2ECYaCrx2dV7
Thanks for your help everyone, easily fitted this morning. Two bike carriers also fitted ready for the New Year break.

I have Thule and a Mont Blanc carriers, the Mont Blanc one is much more adjustable and takes the small frame of my daughter's bike no problem.
VIEW.png

sCbTM2ECYaCrx2dV7

Attachments

• VIEW.png
    VIEW.png
    527.8 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
sCbTM2ECYaCrx2dV7
I have Thule and a Mont Blanc carriers, the Mont Blanc one is much more adjustable and takes the small frame of my daughter's bike no problem.

Pictures not working but is that the Roof Rush carriers, the plastic tray ones? I have three of those and agree, they work well. My only issue is that the front of the tray is a bit narrow for aggressive MTB tyres.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I think it was Roofrush, got it in a VW branded box though as amazingly it was cheaper that way.
The Thule one came from a Nissan dealer via eBay.
I'll try and fix photo later but not working on phone.

Apr 28, 2019

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows if roof rails for an Audi A3 sport back will fit an Leon St?

I can get a second hand set of these for less than 50 quid so wondering if it’s worth taking the chance

If you look at other manufacturers, the through bars are either 1190mm or 1350mm across. I have a 1190mm set of Yakima bars that I’ve fitted to both A3 Sportback (without rails) and ST with flush rails using the different foot packs.

Yakima suggests a different foot pack between the two models with the flush roof rails and Thule uses the same foot pack, but a different adapter to fit the rail.

So I would be inclined to say no; however, if you could research who makes the rails for VAG, then you could buy the second hand bars and then buy the new foot pack/rail adapters which would be a cheaper, but higher risk option.

In a post I replied to yesterday, I purchased the Yakima bars specifically so that they can be swapped between different vehicles, as you only need to replace the foot pack, whereas the Thule bars you potentially have to swap the foot pack and adapters.

Reactions: Bruce Robertson

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows if roof rails for an Audi A3 sport back will fit an Leon St?

I'd buy those bars!

If you look at the roof rails on the Leon and the A3 you'll see that they are the same type. Closed rail with a lip on the top, outer edge for the bar clamp to hook under so both rails will use the same type of roof bars.

The distance the rails are apart doesn't matter, the bars adjust for that. The exact angle the rails are at doesn't matter, there is enough give in the mount to deal with that too. There are four dimples on the inside of the rails to show you where the clamps sit. The clamp is like an upside-down 'L' shape that rests against the top and inside of the rail then a claw hooks under that lip on the outside to clamp it on. Seems a bit insecure, just holding on to that shallow lip, but once it's clamped up it's solid.

You'd obviously have to adjust the A3 bars to fit but if it was me I'd buy them as I'm very confident they will work.

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
I have a set of SEAT bars for my Freetrack , they have pins that utilise the dimples , although still a pain to align. I'll have to see if they fit the ST , sure I've read they have the same roof rail dimensions.
Not the quietest bars but handy when I have steps or ladders to transport.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise