Start Stop Error / Battery Fault?

MrShake

Sep 20, 2020
Hello
I’ve been having an issue with my Start Stop system. For maybe a year now , I’ve been getting an error ‘Error: Start Stop system’ come up on my dashboard every time I turn the car on, it has never worked for me ever since. I’ve also changed my battery to an AGM Battery and still facing the same issues.
I recently ran some diagnostics and this is the only issue I could find on the battery.

Battery monitoring
control module
fault code: P1B0200

Any idea what’s causing this as I really want it to work again.

Appreciate the help

Attachments

• 66C3E0C2-060C-4C86-8281-DA85216E46F5.jpeg
    66C3E0C2-060C-4C86-8281-DA85216E46F5.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 245

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you check up on the internet, that fault code seems to point to your car having a faulty battery monitor, which is built into the -VE battery lead, ie the dongle that is part of that lead.

First thing to check, is that dongle's small plug actually still plugged into it and does the thin wiring look okay?

If that lead is unplugged auto Stop/Start will never work.

A new -VE lead costs quite a bit maybe £80, I've forgotten the exact price, and on some VW Group platforms, it is a known weak point.

Edit:- again, as the previous poster asked, did you get that new battery coded to the car, including the change to AGM from EFB if that was what the original battery was?

Reactions: MrShake

MrShake

Sep 20, 2020
Do you register the new battery?

Enviado do meu Redmi Note 9 Pro através do Tapatalk
I did register the battery and got it coded with the new serial too.

If you check up on the internet, that fault code seems to point to your car having a faulty battery monitor, which is built into the -VE battery lead, ie the dongle that is part of that lead.

First thing to check, is that dongle's small plug actually still plugged into it and does the thin wiring look okay?

If that lead is unplugged auto Stop/Start will never work.

A new -VE lead costs quite a bit maybe £80, I've forgotten the exact price, and on some VW Group platforms, it is a known weak point.

Edit:- again, as the previous poster asked, did you get that new battery coded to the car, including the change to AGM from EFB if that was what the original battery was?
I should probably get this checked. I couldn’t find that it linked to that dongle so I appreciate the help ! I’ll get it checked and report back. I may even consider buying a new dongle anyways

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you checked it with a proper VW Group compliant scan tool like VCDS or similar, you would be able to check to see what was happening wrt battery charging, and maybe pin point that dongle as being the root cause.
I've read that some good proper VAG Indie workshops always replace this -VE cable assembly when there is a reported issue that killed a battery, I've jumped the gun in that respect by taking that on board and buying a new -VE cable for my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI before I get round to replacing her car's EFB battery with a slightly bigger AGM one, in the case of my wife's Polo, I'd doubt if it really needs that new dongle, but I'll be fitting it along with the new battery soonish as the original battery is dropping off in general health.

MrShake

Sep 20, 2020
If you checked it with a proper VW Group compliant scan tool like VCDS or similar, you would be able to check to see what was happening wrt battery charging, and maybe pin point that dongle as being the root cause.
I've read that some good proper VAG Indie workshops always replace this -VE cable assembly when there is a reported issue that killed a battery, I've jumped the gun in that respect by taking that on board and buying a new -VE cable for my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI before I get round to replacing her car's EFB battery with a slightly bigger AGM one, in the case of my wife's Polo, I'd doubt if it really needs that new dongle, but I'll be fitting it along with the new battery soonish as the original battery is dropping off in general health.
Thank you for your response!
I’ve ordered a new dongle, I’m going to see if it solves the issue of the Start Stop error. I’ll keep this post updated

MrShake

Sep 20, 2020
It’s all fixed now! Thank you so much! I replaced the battery control module today and finally my Start Stop is working and the error is gone!
This is why I love the forums

Reactions: RUM4MO and Walone
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.