Starter motor need replacing? or could it be something else?

nealegray

May 13, 2016
I have a 2007 Leon Cupra 240bhp its completely standard. I've owned it for years without any problems until this weekend.

I drove from Brighton to London, around 100miles with no problems, parked up turned off the engine. Later went to move the car forward a bit and it wouldn't start.

All the dashboard lights came on, fuel pump primes, turned the key and nothing except a relay click, the starter motor did nothing.

The next morning called RAC, he tested the battery, all fine, (its about 2 months old), he then tried whacking the starter motor with a breaker bar while I turned the key, nothing. We then bump started it and it started without any problem. I then drove to the top of a hill, turned it off, tried the key still nothing. Bump started again without any problem. So from this we both figured that the starter motor had failed and needs replacing.

We bump started again to drive home without any problems. When I pulled up at home, turned off, and then tried the key again and it started first time, I've tried it various times since and its started every time.

So my question is could the problem be an electrical connection rather than the starter motor itself? I note that there is a cable from the body to the starter motor, this has some green corrosion. or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I don't want to just clean up the electrical connection or assume that the problem has fixed itself and then get stranded somewhere if it is actually that the starter motor is failing.

If it is a failing starter motor does anyone know if its possible to recondition them yourself?

For reference the car has only done around 55k miles.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
There's usually companies not far that will refurbish a starter for you, but if you don't have time to wait a new one is abit over £100, so not really breaking the bank.

At least with a new/refurbished starter you won't have to worry.

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
I have a 2007 Leon Cupra 240bhp its completely standard. I've owned it for years without any problems until this weekend.

I drove from Brighton to London, around 100miles with no problems, parked up turned off the engine. Later went to move the car forward a bit and it wouldn't start.

All the dashboard lights came on, fuel pump primes, turned the key and nothing except a relay click, the starter motor did nothing.

The next morning called RAC, he tested the battery, all fine, (its about 2 months old), he then tried whacking the starter motor with a breaker bar while I turned the key, nothing. We then bump started it and it started without any problem. I then drove to the top of a hill, turned it off, tried the key still nothing. Bump started again without any problem. So from this we both figured that the starter motor had failed and needs replacing.

We bump started again to drive home without any problems. When I pulled up at home, turned off, and then tried the key again and it started first time, I've tried it various times since and its started every time.

So my question is could the problem be an electrical connection rather than the starter motor itself? I note that there is a cable from the body to the starter motor, this has some green corrosion. or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I don't want to just clean up the electrical connection or assume that the problem has fixed itself and then get stranded somewhere if it is actually that the starter motor is failing.

If it is a failing starter motor does anyone know if its possible to recondition them yourself?

For reference the car has only done around 55k miles.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
I have exactly the same problem. When the engine is cold it started right away but when i drive and lets say stop after some time,it doesn't started or crank at all!! I need to wait 10 minutes or more so to be capable to started again. .
My battery is new also.
This week i will go for a starter motor replacement i think the old one is nearly dead.
Tell us when you fix yours so to know if it was the starter or something else.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've had that issue when a car and so its starter motor gets old, the starter shaft bearing nearest the engine flywheel gets worn and so a lot more current is required to spin the motor over - but normally in that situation, the battery will get its voltage dragged down and the instrument panel lights will go out, though it is possible that there is another issue due to "heat soak" ie the engine heat soaking back into the starter and causing it a problem due to its age, but this time maybe a brush sticking etc and so no or limited current flow to the rotor part of the starter motor.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.