Steering bit too light?

kurosagi01

Mar 26, 2017
Hi all,ive recently bought my 14 leon FR DSG 184 but won't be getting car until tuesday. Jumping from a gt86 which has heavier steering feel when turning the wheel just seems right for me. The steering on leon feels really light when turning so I was just wondering if there's any mods I can do to improve the weighty feel? My older bro recommend changing the top mounts? Or is it something I have to try and live with?
Much help is appreciated =)

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I have also found that the steering is a bit light on my 2015 184FR. I recently switched from Bridgestone S001 to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres and the steering is much better now, more weight and feel even in "normal" mode.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I believe you can change the steering weight with vcds. There may be other posts with the coding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Also check your tyre pressures. Even the "comfort" pressures are too high imo, presumably to help with the manufacturer's stated fuel consumption figures. Using the recommended regular pressures felt like driving on wet ice in my FR.
Try the comfort settings -0.2 BAR front and rear, improves the ride & handling too.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
You're moving from one of the best handling cars on the market, with the well-weighted steering that's associated with that fantastic overall package. I think you might find anything won't live up to the feel of the GT86 at that price point. Probably, you'll get used to it within a couple of weeks.....or sell it and buy another GT86!

kurosagi01

Mar 26, 2017
Will be getting new tyres some point as the current ones are just budget types,haven't looked at vcds really lol and will try different tyre pressure.

@Ronnie that is true lol ,the 86 is a fantastic car which i feel everyone should have ago in one before judging it by people saying its a slow car because somehow straightline speed is the only thing that matters.
Won't be getting replacing the FR for any other car anytime soon as i'll be planning on saving for mortgage for a house and then i can save for my dream car.
I'm hoping i can get used to it haha anyway the lighter steering.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
All I can say is I had a GT86 up my chuff on my commute. I was well impressed.

Last edited:

kurosagi01

Mar 26, 2017
I've had my 86 for year and 1/4 and my commute to work which is just B roads for 17-19 miles there and back,most fun i've had in a car which never missed a beat accelerating to redline and going around bends fast,boxer engine just sounded amazing with the cobrasport exhaust. Car handled like a dream which is what i was expecting when i got myself into getting one beforehand.

Well i'll be driving the leon tomorrow after picking it up after work hours going be interesting drive home, first auto/DSG, diesel and turbo car i've owned and a bigger hatchback *driven Peugeot 206 and Mazda2 DE prior to GT86*

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
I agree with Ronnie. You can't eat your bagel and have it. Replacing a sports car with a hatchback inevitably entails a degree of compromise. :drive1:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
My friend Montmerency recently traded his Volvo estate for a 911 and then complained that he had no room to carry his mobiliity scooter. :banghead2

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
........daft lad.

Anyway, we all know the simple answer to everyone's driving needs for absolutely everything is a Cupra ST.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.