Steering wheel wobble issue

Joe77

May 25, 2021
Hello everyone me again hopefully you're not getting sick of my post, recently have fitted new alloys to my car, to do this I had to fit 20mm 5x100 to 5x112 hubcentric wheel spacers, since the first drive anything over 50 mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy , the wheels I bought came with tyres on and the wheels have weights on them from what i can see. I took it to a garage today and was told the wheel spacers would be to fault making my new wheels not work with my vehicle . My tracking was out before I fitted the wheels but what would cause steering wheel wobble from 50 mph plus. Any points or help would be amazing as I'm sorta stuck right now.
Many thanks Joe
Seat leon SX 1.9tdi ASV 110

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Id get the wheels balanced.
If the mechanic blamed the spacers, he maybe right BUT it maybe just the balancing. And the is a lazy twat and couldn't be arsed to do your car.
Infact, id get tracking and balancing done at the same time.
What make of tyres do you have on the fronts?

Reactions: Connor H

Joe77

May 25, 2021
Thank you for your comment , like you said they may be right or they couldn't be arsed , I've got accelera phi all season 225/40r18

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Unless you made a major mistake with the spacers (unlikely) its almost definitely balancing.

also note that balancing can be done badly, causing a shake also

I have had the WORST subframe alignment and tracking for a year and it didnt shake.

Joe77

May 25, 2021
Unless you made a major mistake with the spacers (unlikely) its almost definitely balancing.

also note that balancing can be done badly, causing a shake also

I have had the WORST subframe alignment and tracking for a year and it didnt shake.
Yeah I got them through work I work at halfords and the wheels got ordered in for a customer with tyres back in 2019 wouldn't suprise me

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
In my experience, 95% of wheel balancing that's included with new tyres, is utter shite.
Fortunately I have found someone who can actually do it. It's worth the money.