Sticking Porsche Calipers?UPDATE: DISC SKIMMING THE CALIPER!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
Hi,

I took my leon on a rapid run with some hard braking. The car stops great from speed however when they get hot (i mean very hot) i can hear the pad skim against the disc. Both sides do it, (it still stops fine and obviously when it gets to this stage i drive slowly). Once cool its totally fine. I've asked a few of my knowledgeable friends and the same happens to them on the same run and they also have 4 pot brakes. (something about heat expansion)

Is this normal? I've got 996 porsche calipers, porsche pads and drilled 330mm discs..

just looking for some reassurance... :headhurt:

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I found recently after doing some heavy breaking that my pad compound has hardened and I get a grinding noise once they have heat in them. The ATE pad is a race pad so quite agressive. The problem you got is quite common I believe so nothing to worry about...someone else may want to confirm however.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
do your pads cover all the disc or do they leave a 2cm ish gap on the inward part?

mine do do this aswell, when hot, hard braking they sometimes feel like they lock a little... thats with ds2500s aswell.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
are you running the same spec diam/width disc as the original calipers ?

and if so has the caliper mounted with the disc 'truely' in centre ?

if you are cooking them up to real 'hot' i would expect to get some expansion no matter what vehicle they are on to be honest but with them retrofitted it might be time to think about some ducting/airflow for helping them cool as i bet the porsche has designed something even if it's only the wheels

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
thanks for the replies.

the pad covers most of the disc. the only part not covered is a few mm of the outer end of the disc(not the inner) i'll take a picture in the morning.

not sure what the standard size is for the caliper... it was fitted by AmD so i'd assume they are mounted correctly.

thats a good point about ducting!!...:think:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
hmmh, should cover all the outer disc and leave a small amount of the inner disc uncovered... what pads did you fit.. were they rears for the porsche setup?

what porsche calipers do you use 996 rears? could be binding slightly as i thought 996 rears only took 325x25mm discs as a maximum?

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
part number is 996.351.425/6 which i believe are boxster s fronts with porsche pads

here are a few pics! (bumped into jonjay at AmD :wave: after a quick look it seems to be normal)

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

this seems VERY close, i dont think its rubbing as the top surface isn't clean

DSC_0385.jpg

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
DSC_0386.jpg

unfortunately the disc is rubbing the caliper!!! you cannot see it in this picture, but i went out tonight with a friend, pulled up into a petrol station to see metal filings built up at the top. only the front left does this.

does anyone know if anything can be adjusted? ideally the caliper needs to be moved out at least 1cm on each side. could be this faulty carriers?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
The bolts that go through the calipers to the carrier are very long, adding a 1 or even a 2mm spacer would probably move the bolts out by only one thread at the most. From memory, mine didn't do this and I was using the same calipers as you but the carriers were supplied by Awesome and never gave me that problem, i ws also only using a 312mm disc. It might be that the discs themselves are physically a little larger than advertised.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise