Suspension upgrades on a Leon FR 1.8

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
After remapping the car, i decided to upgrade my suspension.
Initially i wanted a coilover setup, such as the Bilstein PSS B14 or ST-Suspension XA.

My car plate 12/2017 mk3.5, has 38.500km now. The shock absorbers are good. So, after a lot of search and discussion, i decided to
take another way. I've ordered the Eibach Sportline red lowering springs. And one day, if the shocks are starting to go bad I'll get the Bilstein B8 Sprint,
so to have a B12 Sportline setup.

3 days after my springs order, i ordered Eibach wheel spacers too. The 20mm per axle model.
Will i have any problem (rubbing) with the spacers and the lowering springs on the car?

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Sachs Twin Tube 315 911

getMedia

Sachs Twin Tube 318 202

getMedia

These are the OEM shock absorbers of the 1.8 Leon.

I've sent email to Sachs/ZF Germany and had a discussion with Sachs and a Greek partner of them here in Greece.
I asked if these shocks have any problem with the Sportline springs. Both told me that i 'll have no problem.
Basically because these shocks are already for use with lowering springs.

I didn't asked them about the wheel spacers however...

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Sachs Twin Tube 315 911

getMedia

Sachs Twin Tube 318 202

getMedia

These are the OEM shock absorbers of the 1.8 Leon.

I've sent email to Sachs/ZF Germany and had a discussion with Sachs and a Greek partner of them here in Greece.
I asked if these shocks have any problem with the Sportline springs. Both told me that i 'll have no problem.
Basically because these shocks are already for use with lowering springs.

I didn't asked them about the wheel spacers however...
To be clear these are NOT the OEM dampers - there are LOADS of OEM dampers part numbers (around 30 on my last count) depending on PR code and vehicle configuration.
What you have posted are 'Aftermarket' dampers made by the same company as the OEM damper provider - probably not even from the same factory/country - they have 2x variants sports and standard - vs 30 for the OEM.
I'm not saying they won't work for you - but just being clear these are NOT the same as the OEM dampers. Same story with brakes.

Reactions: Giuseppe Busso

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
To be clear these are NOT the OEM dampers - there are LOADS of OEM dampers part numbers (around 30 on my last count) depending on PR code and vehicle configuration.
What you have posted are 'Aftermarket' dampers made by the same company as the OEM damper provider - probably not even from the same factory/country - they have 2x variants sports and standard - vs 30 for the OEM.
I'm not saying they won't work for you - but just being clear these are NOT the same as the OEM dampers. Same story with brakes.

Hmmm you are right.

I found a photo of my car today before 4 years. It was 2018 and almost 2 months at my hands.

This is the standard FR height? This is because springs weren't settled?
From this height will be dropped about 30mm at front with the Eibach Sportline?
Today my car stands lower.

Will i have any issues with Sportlines and 20mm wheel spacers per axle?

Thanks...

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Finally, today i received the package.

Product code E20-15-021-02-22

and parts list codes:
Front F21-15-021-02-VA (1100kg)
Rear F21-15-021-01-HA (1070kg)

According to Eibach.de, at online catalogue some info:

Fitting Position: Front Axle,
for vehicles with sports suspension,
for manufacturer: Eibach,
Replace in pairs only,
Coil Spring,
Wire Diameter: 11,8 mm,
Length: 255 mm,
Number of Coils: 5,2

Fitting Position: Rear Axle,
for vehicles with sports suspension,
for manufacturer: Eibach,
Axle: Independent wheel suspension,
Replace in pairs only,
Coil Spring,
Wire Diameter: 12,2 mm,
Length: 283 mm,
Number of Coils: 8,2

Fronts are progressive (right column), rears are linear (left column).

These coil spring are the sportiest of the Eibach Sportline lineup. There are also the E20-15-021-01-22 with "softer" front springs (970kg).

I'm awaiting also for the Eibach Pro-Spacers (10mm per wheel) to fit them all together.
Can't wait...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.