Switching to Hybrid mode makes E mode unavailable for random period.

May 14, 2023
I've had a 1.4 e Hybrid FR for 2 years now, and when going on a medium/longer journey I switch the car into hybrid using the infotainment screen. It invariably makes E mode unavailable, giving the ridiculous situation of being at traffic lights, with huge battery capacity remaining and the petrol engine running while stationary.
I have complained many times via the lease company and they have taken it up with Seat who claim it's expected behaviour and refuse to do anything. It's been to 3 dealers already, some more helpful than others, but none of whom seem to know their product very well.
Even an RAC inspection said it was faulty but Seat denied it.

Anyone else have this? I suspect it's a battery fault due to having been manufactured 6 months before it was delivered, with the battery having not been charged in between.

I do also have other random issues like info screen not coming on to start with, various bulb warnings, and the main bugbear of lane guidance defaulting to on. Around me the roads are such a mess sees tarmac lines as road edges and starts tugging at the wheel. Dangerous....

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
I've had a 1.4 e Hybrid FR for 2 years now, and when going on a medium/longer journey I switch the car into hybrid using the infotainment screen. It invariably makes E mode unavailable, giving the ridiculous situation of being at traffic lights, with huge battery capacity remaining and the petrol engine running while stationary.
I have complained many times via the lease company and they have taken it up with Seat who claim it's expected behaviour and refuse to do anything. It's been to 3 dealers already, some more helpful than others, but none of whom seem to know their product very well.
Even an RAC inspection said it was faulty but Seat denied it.

Anyone else have this? I suspect it's a battery fault due to having been manufactured 6 months before it was delivered, with the battery having not been charged in between.

I do also have other random issues like info screen not coming on to start with, various bulb warnings, and the main bugbear of lane guidance defaulting to on. Around me the roads are such a mess sees tarmac lines as road edges and starts tugging at the wheel. Dangerous....
It's by design. Mine does it as well. They all do. I believe its so the engine can run a full cycle. Stop/starting a cold engine isn't good for it.

on a related note, also be aware, if you haven't had the car for long, Every 6-12 months, the electric mode will stop working entirely for a bit. I believed it to be a fault at first, but again, its by design. Modern petrols have a petrol particulate filter, similar to how diesels have for a while. This system needs to be heated/purged/recharged every few months. If you do a lot of long haul driving, you may never see it. But my work is only 15 miles away. Luckily i had a long drive due around the time it last happened, so i stuck it in sport mode and used it as an excuse to give the car a good work out. This particulate filter is also likely another reason why the engine needs to run for a bit.

May 14, 2023
Thanks Dave, but why would it cut off E mode - eg on the motorway.? Doesn’t make sense. It also doesn’t make sense that the “factory trained” mechanics don’t know about it, at 3 different dealerships, and the RAC dude agreed that it looked like a fault. Even better, why not put it in the manual?

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Thanks Dave, but why would it cut off E mode - eg on the motorway.? Doesn’t make sense. It also doesn’t make sense that the “factory trained” mechanics don’t know about it, at 3 different dealerships, and the RAC dude agreed that it looked like a fault. Even better, why not put it in the manua
Thanks Dave, but why would it cut off E mode - eg on the motorway.? Doesn’t make sense. It also doesn’t make sense that the “factory trained” mechanics don’t know about it, at 3 different dealerships, and the RAC dude agreed that it looked like a fault. Even better, why not put it in the manual?
Cant answer that. What I can say, is that the mechanics at my dealer knew about it, and I’ve seen references to it on this and other forums. The electric mode is completely managed by the computers. So if the car detects that the gas particulate filter needs heating up on the motorway or that the engine has switched on, but it’s not safe to switch off yet, it will simply limit your abilities do you so. I think some of it is safety as well. I realise that if I’m in engine mode, and I’m going down a steep hill, it won’t switch over to electric, even if I’m not accelerating. I think it’s because it’s using engine, braking partly to slow the vehicle down, and suddenly stopping this suddenly could be dangerous.
i’m with you. When I first got the car, it really bugged me. But I’ve just got used to it now. And now that I realise it’s the car simply maintain itself, it doesn’t really bother me anymore. So it’s probably worth noting the electric mode isn’t as efficient at high speeds as fuel. There is no peak efficiency rpm with an EV. So perhaps the car is realising that the best way to save your money and use the least amount of energy, is to keep the engine on.

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
Mine does the same. I have 60km drive to work and I always start direclty on hybrid. As soon as the engine starts for the first time the electric mode is gone for a minute of 2 until the engine warms up. then it comes back but after a couple of minutes if goes away again for another minute or 2. then after that all is ok for the rest of the travel. And is always the same. I know by now at what point of my travel is going to happen. So I´m assuming is normal behaviour.