Tank flap Jammed but sometimes works.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Hi all,

Sometimes the tank flap stays locked doesnt open unless i do a lock/unlock.

Is this common? I read somewhere its a vag problem. Whats the best way to mitigate it? Do I have to replace the lock mechanism? If so whats the part number to buy and is it easy to do?

Thanks!!

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Yes, it's common. The solenoid that operates the lock fails, and unfortuantely fails closed so the flap cannot bo opened without using force. It's a cheap enough part, around €30, and plenty of guides online on how to replace it if you fancy DIY.

For example

Reactions: Tell and hamst

Deleted member 98136

Yes as rafletcher said its a known problem, when mine started to play up, my local dealer done it under warranty, no questions asked ! Took them less than 20 minutes to replace the part(s).

However I must presume that yours is out of warranty now, otherwise you'd not be asking ?

Reactions: hamst

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Yes as rafletcher said its a known problem, when mine started to play up, my local dealer done it under warranty, no questions asked ! Took them less than 20 minutes to replace the part(s).

However I must presume that yours is out of warranty now, otherwise you'd not be asking ?
Yea its a 2019 model. Out of warranty. The vids I've seen are not exactly like the one i have. The ones in the video have a screw to access the mechanism but nine doesn't. You know the part number to replace?

Thanks!!

Deleted member 98136

I'm sorry mate I don't, I presume its commom to Atecas and Leons

Its a shame you didn't take advantage of the "All in Seat" offer, which I did, it would have covered that.

I thought it was excellent value for money for what it cost.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Yes, it's common. The solenoid that operates the lock fails, and unfortuantely fails closed so the flap cannot bo opened without using force. It's a cheap enough part, around €30, and plenty of guides online on how to replace it if you fancy DIY.

For example
Thanks, would you by any chance know the part number? I check ebay and they're all around 25-30 euros

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
I'm sorry mate I don't, I presume its commom to Atecas and Leons

Its a shame you didn't take advantage of the "All in Seat" offer, which I did, it would have covered that.

I thought it was excellent value for money for what it cost.
Its ok, I'm outside the UK, not sure this offer exists in europe anyways. Thanks for your help

Tell

Staff member
Possibly this video since the Ateca is based on the Tiguan ?

I'll get the dealer to do it if it happens to me 😉. I don't believe in extended warranties but I did take out a 4 year service plan that was available from Seat online only but is no longer available. Child of inflation. Like an investment knowing their costs will increase. Did that before inflation kicked in.

I see the part number if specific to the original Ateca prior to 2020. Pass on whether they changed that for the FLs.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
A bit late to the party here, but I recently noticed that the tank flap tried to resist popping open when pushed - it always did but, was a bit of an effort.

All I did was spray some WD40 within the mechanism and it's worked fine ever since. However, I didn't realise before reading this thread that the solenoid issue was a known problem.

Reactions: Tell
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members