Tdi turbo again 49000

ymx

Hi Lads

Didnt think I would be back o here posting but here it goes...

I changed my turbo through warranty about 1 year 1/2 ago after getting a whistling sound much like a police car/ ambulance chasing you. And i am getting the same noise now?

I went to the dealer thay said that nothing was wrong but now the noise is getting worse.

I reported it while my car was still under warranty.

It is now not in warranty as this ended about a month ago.

Do the Delears give you 2 years warranty on warranty work in my case the turbo?

It is the same fault with the car, I reported it in time but im not sure what I can do?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
I think you'd probably have a fair case if it now went faulty as you reported it to the dealers.

Depends how long it takes though...

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Hi Lads

Didnt think I would be back o here posting but here it goes...

I changed my turbo through warranty about 1 year 1/2 ago after getting a whistling sound much like a police car/ ambulance chasing you. And i am getting the same noise now?

It is now not in warranty as this ended about a month ago.

Do the Delears give you 2 years warranty on warranty work in my case the turbo?

It is the same fault with the car, I reported it in time but im not sure what I can do?

Can anyone help?Cheers
The part has its own warranty ie 1yr, so if its failed again then it is STILL covered [ you may have to go through the small claims courts if you can not get any sense from the stealers]

Mak1

Sorry to burst the bubble, but the warranty on any component fitted under warranty ends at the end of the vehicles warranty period.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
You might have some luck claiming under Sales of Goods Act - if its failed twice in a 50k lifetime, is this reasonable? Probably not - you'd expect a core engine compnent in a properly maintained car to last longer than 25k?

Difficult road to go down though.

alex1

Legally I believe what Mak has described is correct. ie. if the part was replaced under the warranty then the part is only covered during the life of that waranty. There were some people who were aware of this and paid a token amount, ie. £1 towards the repair. This then meant that the part was then coverewd by the manufacturers terms for the part, 2 years I belive for VAG.

However all of this is legal sumantics as you get into legal 'argy bargy' about who should cover what. This is where the law is actually very useful; in so much as the law expects goods and services to be of a fair, merchantable quality which will last for a reasonable amount of time and use.

Hence the whole scenario is one in which an early failure of a component, regardless of when fitted or replaced, should last a reasonable amount of time based on a reasonable use. You can get data on failure rates and expected life of components from manufactureres under the freedom of information act. Use this info to assess whther your component has failed earlier than expected and then based on the evidenmce take the case to the small claims court.

Manufacturers will often 'put up' a technical expert against you, but this is frowned upon by the courts if your claim is reasonable.

You need to argue that the turbo failure on your car and associated cost is unreasonable given the age and mileage. You could pose the question to the manufacturer: How many turbos do they replace on like for like vehicles, eg same variant and age and mileage? If the number is low compared to models sold then your expense is unreasonable.

Ask the manufacturer what they believe is a reasonable age and mileage for a turbo to fail. They may not answer, but you would be able to argue that again it is unreasonable for such expense to be incurred at such low mileage.

Don't worry about technical arguements. Courts are pretty fair places. To the lay person I would suggest that you are being exposed to unreasonable costs due to the failure of a part earlier than could be reaonably expected. All that you are trying to do is claim recompense in a reasonable fashion, and I would approach it as such, ie as an honest memeber of the public being exposed to an unreasonable expense.

Hope this helps.
Al

Crackers

J400CBS
Sep 21, 2008
Hull
Had the same noise on my second turbo. My first turbo blow on me whilst under warrenty, would have cost over £2500 if it wasnt covered as i needed new intercooler, exhaust and other bits. Then new turbo SEAT fitted started the "police car whissle" after a couple of months, but as the car was then out of warrenty and although the new turbo had only been on the car a matter of a couple of months, SEAT said that the new item fitted was only covered untill the cars warrenty run out, 4 months in total.

I ended up going to a local garage with a good reputation, who replaced the turbo with a different make to what SEAT would fit, cost about £80 more but was worth it, not had a problem since.

The garage also told me it was a common fault on all VAG 1.9tdi's

Id get it replaced sooner rather then later

ymx

Thanks you guys.

This is ridiculous looks like im going to have to fight it or get ready to buy a new turbo.

I checked the oil and it was a little low topped it up and the noise seems to be intermittent now.

I really hope it is not the turbo again! I will call SEAT customer services and enquire about this as I reported this when my warranty was still valid.

Proving may be more difficult.

Any suggestions .