Thermostat replacement (and cost), and lots of other faults to repair - 1.8 TFSI

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
Hi. I have a Sept 2013 FR, 1.8TFSI. The emission control light has lit up a couple of times recently - car still drove fine, but thought I should get it checked.It's been looked at by Letchworth Seat (who I've generally found to be very good in the past) who have diagnosed a stuck electro-thermostat and split housing from which coolant has been leaking (although I regularly check fluid levels and there's been no obvious change to coolant level).

The whole thermostat unit / housing needs replacing apparently, at an eye watering cost of £796 total.

One of the front dampers is also weeping and needs changing for which they've quoted £302 total (this follows on from both rear dampers being changed three years ago due to failure), as well as a split cv boot gaitor on the offside front for which they've quoted £210 total.

Last year the dsg box catastrophically failed, at a cost of £3600 to repair, for which I ended up paying just under £800 (the rest a 'goodwill'payment from Seat).

Can anyone advise if the above costs are reasonable for a main dealer? The cv gaitor work for example sounds very pricey to me. I asked the garage to ask Seat UK for another goodwil payment but Seat UK has said no this time. Thanks.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I can't speak specifically for your car as mine is a TDI but I had the thermostat and housing replaced recently on my 2014 FR ST due to an overheat problem. It turned out it was the stupid variable shroud waterpump design that was sticking but belt and braces meant the pump and stat got changed as well. The stat housings are known to crack/split and it's sensible to change when you do the stat.

The stat and housing is less than £100 (for my car) but changing it is a ball ache. Not sure on access/location but on the TDI it's hiding at the front under the charge cooler and various pipes. I assume the VAG's service docs would suggest a few hours work to change over as they follow a set procedure (and charge for it).

My mechanic said that is was a proper b*ll ache to do and didn't charge me for his learning curve! At £20 p/h it `only` cost me about £160 inc the parts.

I supsect that you can get yours done cheaper if you stay away from the £100 p/h dealer rates.

Not sure on the CV gaitor - again, it's probably based on a pre-arrange parts/labour rate.

Do you not have any VAG indies or just a sensible local garage that won't charge the dealer rates?

Reactions: Monsoon

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks both. Yes, I'd read the same, that it's a pig of a job to change the thermostat and housing, which would probaby explain the high dealer price. The work's been done now, but certianly will look at an independent next time!

Reactions: BillyCool
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.