Thinking of getting 1.4TSI 180..

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
Hi guys

I currently have a ford zs mk 7 1.6petrol but tbh I have had it three years now and looking to move onto something else.

I really like the 1.4TSI 180hp Ibiza but reviews seem to be hit and miss. I know the only real way to see if I like it will be to test drive which I will do but for now, anyone here let me know there thoughts?

I love the exterior but not too sure the interior is premium enough.

Anyone here own one and can let me know what they think of it ?

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: I test drove one today and decided to get it! Thanks for everyones advice.

Last edited:

cb1992

Jan 12, 2012
Glasgow
The Ibiza cupra is a good car, I had a 13 plate ( facelift). Was very happy with the performance , it will be like night and day compared to your 1.6. Also, I liked the dsg gearbox, but as you will find on here, it is not to everyone's taste, so definitely book a test drive. Interior wise, I thought it was okay, usual Germanic styling but it is a vw after all. The Achilles heel of the car is the engine reliability. The 1.4tsi has had many problems, they burn oil by design and many folk on here are on there 3rd engine, although some people have had no issues. My car burned oil from new and also needed a new injector and fuel pump after 74 miles on the clock! To sum up its a good car on its day, but the 1.4 tsi (twin charged) is blighted with issues so much that vw have dropped it altogether. If you are buying second hand be careful and give the car and service history a thorough check. If buying new wait for the 2016 1.8 tsi version to be released.

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
The Ibiza cupra is a good car, I had a 13 plate ( facelift). Was very happy with the performance , it will be like night and day compared to your 1.6. Also, I liked the dsg gearbox, but as you will find on here, it is not to everyone's taste, so definitely book a test drive. Interior wise, I thought it was okay, usual Germanic styling but it is a vw after all. The Achilles heel of the car is the engine reliability. The 1.4tsi has had many problems, they burn oil by design and many folk on here are on there 3rd engine, although some people have had no issues. My car burned oil from new and also needed a new injector and fuel pump after 74 miles on the clock! To sum up its a good car on its day, but the 1.4 tsi (twin charged) is blighted with issues so much that vw have dropped it altogether. If you are buying second hand be careful and give the car and service history a thorough check. If buying new wait for the 2016 1.8 tsi version to be released.

Thanks for your reply mate, really informative. I wish I could buy the new 2016 1.8 version but honestly budget constraints will most likely stop me. If the 1.4 has been such an issue engine wise is this the case with most the the ibiza engines released around 2013 to now? Or was is just that 1.4 twin charged one ?

Thanks mate

cb1992

Jan 12, 2012
Glasgow
It's seems the 1.4 tsi (180) is problematic as a whole. But problems were more frequent with the earlier engines so that's 2009-2012 roughly These engines are coded (CAVE). The facelift had some revisions but it it still has issues as my car did. The 1.4 tsi is great on paper but doesn't really work in reality. Having said that the Ibiza fr Version of the 1.4 tsi (150bhp) seems to be a lot more reliable. I wouldn't say avoid all together but just buy with caution as with any car. I only had my cupra for a year due to finances so there will be other folk on here with more info than I can provide.

Cheers.

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
It's seems the 1.4 tsi (180) is problematic as a whole. But problems were more frequent with the earlier engines so that's 2009-2012 roughly These engines are coded (CAVE). The facelift had some revisions but it it still has issues as my car did. The 1.4 tsi is great on paper but doesn't really work in reality. Having said that the Ibiza fr Version of the 1.4 tsi (150bhp) seems to be a lot more reliable. I wouldn't say avoid all together but just buy with caution as with any car. I only had my cupra for a year due to finances so there will be other folk on here with more info than I can provide.

Cheers.

Thanks mate. Appreciate your thoughts. I think at this point I'd only buy from a dealer and make sure it's had the proper engine revisions installed before considering even buying.

If anyone else has any advice for me or just their story on the tsi 1.4 i'd be grateful

cheers

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
I've had a 2013 cupra for nearly three years now and can honestly say I have absolutely no problems what so ever. I understand that this may not be true for everyone but I can only speak from my own experience. It does use a little oil but I expected this to be the case and so I keep a close eye on it. I would say it uses perhaps a litre every two months or so, doing about 1000 miles a month.
I think the interior is ok as standard, but with a few options from seat is easily improved eg leather handbrake, armrest, gloss black trim kits etc.
Performance is fantastic; it punches far above its weight. There are also quite a few Tunning options available, lucifer on this site has brought out a couple of really good guides. As I have had such a positive experience, it's hard for me to criticise the car, but take a test drive and see what you think yourself.

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
I've had a 2013 cupra for nearly three years now and can honestly say I have absolutely no problems what so ever. I understand that this may not be true for everyone but I can only speak from my own experience. It does use a little oil but I expected this to be the case and so I keep a close eye on it. I would say it uses perhaps a litre every two months or so, doing about 1000 miles a month.
I think the interior is ok as standard, but with a few options from seat is easily improved eg leather handbrake, armrest, gloss black trim kits etc.
Performance is fantastic; it punches far above its weight. There are also quite a few Tunning options available, lucifer on this site has brought out a couple of really good guides. As I have had such a positive experience, it's hard for me to criticise the car, but take a test drive and see what you think yourself.

Thanks mate. Yeah that's what is really appealing to me is how good this engine is on paper performance wise, amongst the fact I do like how these new Ibiza's look, although they do seem a tad small! I'll have to give it a test drive for sure this weekend.

Kevos100

Jan 26, 2016
Chester
Hi. I've had my Ibiza DSG Cupra for just over 2 weeks now. It's a 15 plate bought from a dealer, so lots of warranty left on it etc and I did a fair amount of research before I bought. I'd always wanted a Cupra, Ibiza or Leon. but it was to replace a Corsa, so the Ibiza won out in the end. So far so good with the car. DSG is great and as someone said, it punches well above it's weight. I think it looks great in it's 2 door format and the interior seems pretty robust, albeit germanic in style, but which is not necessarily a bad thing. It is a dream to drive and it always puts a smile on my face. As I hope to keep it for a good while, I bought the best, newest I could, with as many extras as possible. I've just fitted dashcams front and rear on it. A little bit more security and protection I hope. We'll see....

Fletch

Jan 28, 2016
Hastings
I picked up a 15 plate cupra last week. Did some research, and got a low mileage model from a local dealer. I was told it was a ex management model, but ive seen a lot pop up so i guess they give them to staff for 6 or so months, then sell them to the public.

First impressions are good, if you want to drive sensibly, the DSG is nice and smooth. I find it a tad sluggish pulling out of a junction sensibly (unless its just me getting used to it...)

But if you want to drive spirited, its got plenty of Oooomph to overtake with ease. Theres a small section of road where i can do a little sprint, old car (62 Swift Sport) struggled to 60, but this gets to 70 with ease.

It feels good to drive, and theres lots of little things i like.

My only dislike atm, is the Garmin Sat Nav. It has lots of good things, but its annoying you have to have it in to stream bluetooth music to it and it doesnt show the song etc its playing. (might be a small issue but my old car did it built in). And the maps built in are from Quarter 4 2013. Which seems stupid if the car was registered 2015. And the app says im not entitled to any map updates and will have to pay...

But ultimately, take one for a spin and see if you like it!

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
Hi. I've had my Ibiza DSG Cupra for just over 2 weeks now. It's a 15 plate bought from a dealer, so lots of warranty left on it etc and I did a fair amount of research before I bought. I'd always wanted a Cupra, Ibiza or Leon. but it was to replace a Corsa, so the Ibiza won out in the end. So far so good with the car. DSG is great and as someone said, it punches well above it's weight. I think it looks great in it's 2 door format and the interior seems pretty robust, albeit germanic in style, but which is not necessarily a bad thing. It is a dream to drive and it always puts a smile on my face. As I hope to keep it for a good while, I bought the best, newest I could, with as many extras as possible. I've just fitted dashcams front and rear on it. A little bit more security and protection I hope. We'll see....

I picked up a 15 plate cupra last week. Did some research, and got a low mileage model from a local dealer. I was told it was a ex management model, but ive seen a lot pop up so i guess they give them to staff for 6 or so months, then sell them to the public.

First impressions are good, if you want to drive sensibly, the DSG is nice and smooth. I find it a tad sluggish pulling out of a junction sensibly (unless its just me getting used to it...)

But if you want to drive spirited, its got plenty of Oooomph to overtake with ease. Theres a small section of road where i can do a little sprint, old car (62 Swift Sport) struggled to 60, but this gets to 70 with ease.

It feels good to drive, and theres lots of little things i like.

My only dislike atm, is the Garmin Sat Nav. It has lots of good things, but its annoying you have to have it in to stream bluetooth music to it and it doesnt show the song etc its playing. (might be a small issue but my old car did it built in). And the maps built in are from Quarter 4 2013. Which seems stupid if the car was registered 2015. And the app says im not entitled to any map updates and will have to pay...

But ultimately, take one for a spin and see if you like it!

Cheers lads I've booked my test drive for this saturday! I actually am shocked about that garmin thing, can't believe they thought that was a good idea. It looks bad and clearly isn't streamlined at all. Also surely everyone would use their phone for navigation over an old garmin map pack!

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
I picked mine up the other week. I've done around 1000 miles since then and I can't get enough of it. I fell in love the moment I saw it and the test drive sealed the deal.

I just purchased it! Fell in love with it! Pick it up Tuesday. Very exicted! Thanks all for your advice :D

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Good choice! Had mine two years from new. Not one issue, I love it!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
Good choice! Had mine two years from new. Not one issue, I love it!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Thanks bro!! can't wait to give it a proper drive about and then get putting my touch onto it! Revo stage 1 will be on that list!!!

Also in prep for the oil thirsty ****er, whats the best one to put into these and how often have you felt to top it up?

Last edited:

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
I love the exterior but not too sure the interior is premium enough.
!

I'd say the Ibiza interior is on par with Ford. I changed to an Ibiza after having two Golfs, remember that most of the switch gear in a Seat is VAG. The steering wheel and gear stick have a quality feel.

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
I'd say the Ibiza interior is on par with Ford. I changed to an Ibiza after having two Golfs, remember that most of the switch gear in a Seat is VAG. The steering wheel and gear stick have a quality feel.
I like it, after actually getting inside it today and seeing it I am happy with it all.

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
Yeah simple enough takes maybe half an hour. I originally got the cupra one, but the flexi intake hose chaffed underneath and wore through, so I ordered the hard intake pipe and scoop from a polo gti which fits perfectly. If I were you, I would just buy the polo gti one from the start as it's far better piece of kit.

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
Yeah simple enough takes maybe half an hour. I originally got the cupra one, but the flexi intake hose chaffed underneath and wore through, so I ordered the hard intake pipe and scoop from a polo gti which fits perfectly. If I were you, I would just buy the polo gti one from the start as it's far better piece of kit.

nice one, cheers!